Head of Early Years, Learning and Outreach Department, Qatar Children’s Museum
Qatar Museum Authority (QMA): www.qma.org.qa
Museum: new family museum based on areas of the arts (visual and performing) and the environment (including ecology) in Doha, the capital of Qatar.
Purpose of position: to set up, manage and develop exhibits, programmes and resources for early years children (1-3) and their families, within the department of learning and outreach. Reports to the Manager of Learning and Outreach.
Responsibilities: include but are not limited to:
* Early years research and advocacy: initiate and maintain a high level of knowledge for QCM on children 0-5 and their parents/caregivers and their needs (statistical and practical).
* Information for this audience: ensure upkeep of information on QMA and QCM websites for these audiences; represent early years needs in meetings and planning processes and coordinate with other QCM staff on inclusion of this audience segment in Museum events as appropriate.
* Early Years Programmes: initial planning and creation of content of programmes and resources for young children and parents/caregivers to participate in together (multi-generational); initial and continuing use of exhibits by this audience, and how this activity may be increased; planning and creation of programmes and resources for early years groups (ie. young mothers groups, etc.).
* Full participation in QCM managerial processes, including all professional development; budget tracking and planning; staff mentoring, review and appraisal process; writing of web and print text; and other processes as designated by the QCM Director.
* Tracking and evaluation of the attendance and feedback from Early Years programmes and exhibits; other responsibilities as designated by the department Manager.
* Represent the Museum at various educational and learning organizations; contribute to conferences, publications and research.
* Participate with other QMA senior staff in cross-museum projects and initiatives.
Position requirements: masters degree (or equivalent) in museum studies, museum education, child development, or closely related subject; minimum 3 years museum management experience including management of staff and budget; (minimum 6 years total museum experience); experience with in-gallery programming for families and/or children; computer literate with excellent written, presentation and communication skills. International work experience highly desirable.
Position contract offers excellent, tax-free salary with extensive benefits (including accommodation, flights, medical coverage and end-of-contract payment; 45 days paid vacation a year plus public holidays).
Application: detailed cover letter and CV via email to Sue Underwood OBE, Director, Qatar Children’s Museum at sunderwood[at]qma[dot]org[dot]qa