Curator of Interpretation & Visitor Services
The Hagley Museum and Library, in Wilmington, Delaware, is a member of the Independent Research Libraries Association, and houses one of the foremost collections of manuscripts, photographs, books, and pamphlets documenting the history of American business and technology.
Candidates should have a master’s degree in history, education, museum studies or a related field and at least five years of museum experience including management and supervisory responsibilities. Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience in the development and evaluation of educational programs for a variety of audiences; the supervision and
training of guides and volunteers, and the creation and management of budgets. Additional experience in grant writing and knowledge of Mid-Atlantic or industrial American history a plus.
For a full position description, see below.
Letter of interest
Example of an educational program created by candidate
Title: Curator of Interpretation and Visitor Services
Supervisor: Director, Museum Services
Major Responsibilities: Together with the Director, this position sets the priorities for the Interpretation and Visitor Services Department. Overall responsibility for developing, implementing, and monitoring the interpretive plan for Hagley Museum. Lead the department in utilizing the interpretive plan in the development, implementation and evaluation
of all educational public programs offered by Hagley. Ensures the quality, consistency, and creativity of our programs through the management and supervision of all educational and visitor services staff. This position is a member of the leadership team for the Museum Division.
1. Supervise the research, creation, testing, implementation, and evaluation of all public programming on site including school programs, family programs, adult learner programs, guided tours, exhibition related programs, and site interpretation.
2. Oversee the recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of all departmental staff including full time staff, part time guides, visitor services assistants, bus drivers, and volunteers.
3. Supervise the scheduling of all part time staff including guides, volunteer interpreters, bus drivers, visitor services assistants and weekend staff.
4. Manage intra-departmental communication among all departmental staff and act as lead liaison with other departments within the organization.
4. Take a leadership role in all special events managed by the Museum Division.
5. Supervise the daily operations of the museum to ensure a positive visitor experience.
6. Work with the Marketing Manager to ensure the proper promotion of museum programs.
7. Prepare and administer yearly operating budget for the department.
8. Represent the interest of Hagley and museum education in local, regional, and national professional organizations.
9. Other duties as assigned by the Director, Museum Services.
This position supervises the Education Coordinator, Museum Operations Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, Tour Coordinator, and the departmental administrative assistant.
Requirements: Master’s degree in history, education, museum studies or a related field; minimum of five years’ museum experience including management and supervisory responsibilities; significant experience with interpretation development and implementation; demonstrated excellent communications, administrative, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Availability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
Hagley Museum and Library
Wilmington, DE 19807