LOWER EAST SIDE TENEMENT MUSEUM
DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, founded in 1988, promotes tolerance and historical perspective through the presentation and interpretation of the variety of immigrant and migrant experiences on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, a gateway to America.
The Director of Education is responsible for the daily administration of the Museum’s Education Department which oversees tours and school programs for over 170,000 visitors a year. The Director supervises four full-time Education Associates and coordinates the training and management of the Museum’s forty educators, facilitators and costumed interpreters. The Director of Education focuses particularly on the development and implementation of curriculum for the Museum’s school groups and professional development offerings. This position reports to
the Vice President for Education.
● Oversee the daily administration of the Museum’s tours and school programs
● Develop and facilitate educational programs for school-age children and families
● Manage full-time Education Associates and oversee the management of part-time and per diem museum educators
● Oversee the Education Associates’ work on dialogue, ESOL, and professional development
● Administer project budgets
● Help define long-range educational objectives
● Track and report educational program results (evaluations and surveys)
● Work with VP of Education to review and update existing tour content and to assist in the development of new tours
● Special projects
Candidates should have a Masters in Education and/or Museum Education and must have managerial experience. Candidates should also have a strong interest in immigration studies. Chinese and Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary history to humanresources[at]tenement[dot]org. No phone calls, please.