Position Title: Early Childhood Specialist
Status: Full-time, exempt
Job Classification: Educator
Job Summary: The Early Childhood Specialist manages the early learning and parenting support initiatives of DuPage Children’s Museum; acts as the Museum’s internal consultant and advocate in the area of early childhood development for all Museum departments; leads the development of early childhood/learning training and professional development content for museum staff, volunteers and external organizations; and represents the early childhood mission of DuPage Children’s Museum to outside agencies and institutions.
1. Functions as the early learning consultant and advocate across all DCM departments, models developmentally appropriate interactions and consults as a regular member of the exhibits experience team.
2. Manages approved Early Childhood initiatives when appropriate, including, but not limited to, the Family Resource Center, Preschool Summer Camp, classes, the DCM blog and others as assigned.
3. Prepares and oversees the development and preparation of written and other materials to support the early learning and parenting program initiatives of DCM
4. Develops and prepares training content and materials based on consultative observation in conjunction with other DCM specialists, the Director of Operations and the Museum Floor Manager.
5. Represents the early learning mission of DCM through professional development; also presents, participates on professional panels, and creates a variety of materials for outside institutions on behalf of DCM as needed.
6. Works with Department Directors to implement a regular program of observation to ensure continuing high quality educational experiences.
7. Stays current with Early Learning research and utilizes it to promote museum education opportunities; oversees the building up and maintenance of a library of research and training materials for the institution.
8. Assists in development and monitoring of relevant budgets.
9. Assists in grant writing and reporting to maintain approved early learning and parenting programs.
10. Acts as a DCM ambassador to area agencies and other institutions to establish and nurture collaborations that foster early learning, parent support and adult education as appropriate.
11. Other duties as assigned
1. Other duties as assigned
* Supervised by the Associate Director of Programs.
* Works closely with the appropriate Director of Operations and other staff to develop and make available appropriate training,
* When acting as Exhibit Experience Consultant, duties are coordinated by the Associate Director of Exhibits & Design in collaboration with the Associate Director of Programs.
* Must work collaboratively from within the Exhibits & Programs Department to coordinate program initiatives with other DCM departments.
Education and Experience:
* Masters’ level degree in early childhood development or closely related career field required.
* Minimum of five-ten years of experience working with young children and adults in a learning environment, preferably a museum setting.
* Experience with social constructivist and Reggio Emilia learning models is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
* Must work well in a collaborative environment.
* Have demonstrated leadership skills.
* Must have excellent presentation skills.
* Must have excellent, demonstrated interpersonal skills in working directly with children and families.
* Excellent writing and communication skills essential to communicate with varied DCM constituencies.
* Excellent skills in organizing, determining priorities and taking initiative, willingness and ability to work toward objectives, shifting priorities when needed.
* Good computer skills, including Word, Excel, Outlook, blogging and comfortable with using social media.
* Knowledge of evaluation techniques and software is required.
* Perform basic mathematical calculations.
* Knowledge of budget development and monitoring.
* Be able to work evenings and weekends when required.
* Bilingual Spanish a plus.
* Prior museum, especially children’s museum, experience a plus.
The following abilities are required for the position: (a) Visually keep track of visitors, materials and exhibit functioning on the museum floor; (b) Comprehend and speak English extensively and clearly with the public; (c) Hear children’s voices; (d) Assist visitors in emergency situations; (e) Display dexterity necessary to facilitate play in the exhibits environment; (f) Stand and move among exhibits for extended periods; (g) Climb up and down stairs or use an elevator daily; (h) Bend, kneel, climb and reach; (i) Lift 25 pounds;
* Negotiate travel locally and nationally
* Tolerate frequent interruptions in the work process
* Perform analysis on data to form reasonable conclusions and be able to demonstrate findings to others.
* Must have driver’s license, own transportation and appropriate liability insurance
Send resume with letter of interest to:
DuPage Children’s Museum
301 N. Washington
Naperville, IL 60540
Attn: Early Childhood Specialist Position