Job Title: Gallery Educator
The Institute of Contemporary Art | Boston Education Department seeks Tufts Juniors and Seniors, Graduate Students or Alumni to work in the galleries during the upcoming shows:
– Catherine Opie: Empty and Full
– The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl
Both exhibitions open on April 12 and run through to September 4, 2011 Training sessions will happen on April 11, 12, 14, and 15.
Students will serve as Gallery Educators and must be versed on art history, focusing on contemporary art and ideas.
Reports To: Manager of Gallery Learning & Interpretive Media
Position Status: Temporary, April through early September 2011
As the face of the ICA’s Education Department, Gallery Educators engage and excite visitors about the art work on display. Gallery Educators answer visitor’s questions, engage in dialogue, give brief talks in the galleries, and direct visitors to other educational resources. Being a Gallery Educator requires enthusiasm, interest, availability, and knowledge of contemporary visual art.
* Must be a Junior or Senior Undergraduate student, Graduate Student or Alumni
* Interest in teaching or experience with object-based learning
* Knowledge of contemporary art history required
* Strong verbal communication skills; Public speaking experience required
* Ability to think on your feet
* Facilitate discussions in the galleries, according to guidelines set by the Education Department staff
* Provide visitors with information, brochures, and gallery talks during museum hours
* Attend required training sessions and meetings
* Along with the formal training, it is expected that a Gallery Educator will be self motivated and will educate him or herself on the exhibits and artwork so that they have as much background as possible to share with the visitors.
* Availability on Saturdays from 11:30am-5pm, and/or Sundays from 11:30am-5pm.
Salary: The salary for this position is $10.00 per hour. Training will be provided prior to the start of the position. Attendance is required at training sessions.
Type of Job: Part Time
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Majors Wanted: Art History
Company Name: The Institute of Contemporary Art
Employer Web Site: www.icaboston.org
The Institute of Contemporary Art has been at the leading edge of art in Boston for seventy years. Like its iconic building on Boston’s waterfront, the ICA offers new ways of engaging with the world around us. Our exhibitions and programs provide access to contemporary art, artists, and the creative process, inviting audiences of all ages and backgrounds to participate in the excitement of new art and ideas.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Yes
Contact Name: Emma Fernandez
Address: 100 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210
Interested candidates should send letter of interest and resume firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying include “Gallery Educator Opie/Record” in subject line of email.
Questions should be directed to Emma Fernandez, Manager of Gallery Learning & Interpretive Media at the ICA by emailing at email@example.com