*Position: Seasonal Urban Park Ranger *
*Title: Urban Park Ranger (CSA) (Seasonal: June-August 2010)*
As stewards of nearly 14 percent of New York City¹s land, the Department of Parks & Recreation builds and maintains clean, safe, and accessible parks citywide and programs those parks with recreational, cultural and educational activities for people of all ages. Through this work, Parks &
Recreation improves people¹s lives, providing outlets for creative expression, opportunities for healthy recreation, and exposure to the restorative beauty of the natural world.
The New York City Urban Park Rangers seek naturalists and outdoor enthusiasts who want to spend their summer working with the public to build park stewardship and to act as ambassadors for New York City¹s vast greenspace. As an *Urban Park Ranger Fellow*, you will work outdoors in flagship parks in the greatest city in the world in all five boroughs. Under supervision, Urban Park Fellows will spend part of their day patrolling frequented paths helping the public appreciate the natural and historical elements of our parklands, and providing general information and a uniformed presence. Fellowship Rangers also provide nature- and history-themed educational programs at playgrounds and other high activity sites throughout the day. Fellowship Rangers will be uniformed and trained to use a radio for communication, and to promptly respond to quality of life issues. Fellowship Rangers work 40 hours per week, including weekends.
*Length of position: Approximately June 19 through August 20.*
· $94.25 Processing fee required for finger printing and background check.
· Must pass background check
· Current College transcripts required at date of interview
· Seasonal employees must purchase their own uniform
Seasonal Urban Park Ranger Fellow (City Title: City Seasonal Aide)
1. Education and/or experience in natural science topics. Teaching Experience.
2. Excellent oral/written communication skills.
3. Outgoing personality
4. Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
5. Experience working with wildlife
6. NYS Drivers License
7. Must be willing to accept assignment in any of the five boroughs.
*Send resume and cover letter by mail, fax or email to:*
Richard Simon, Deputy Director *Urban Park Rangers*
*1234 Fifth Avenue 1st floor*
New York, NY 10029 Ph: 212-360-2774
ranger.recruitment[at]parks.nyc.gov Learn more at www.nyc.gov/parks/rangers.