Museum Search & Reference is pleased to announce the national search for the Director of Collections and Exhibitions at the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk, VA.
The Chrysler Museum seeks an experienced museum department head. The new Director of Collections and Exhibitions will have the opportunity to plan and oversee a 2012 gallery expansion, requiring the deinstallation and creative new reinstallation of the entire 60-gallery Museum and its collections. Join a highly successful, growing museum at an exciting time.
Nominations are welcome. Feel free to pass this notice on to colleagues.
Job Responsibilities include:
* Oversee collections-management and special-exhibitions design and installation, including major national/international loan exhibitions and outgoing collection loans.
* Provide administrative, organizational, and financial oversight for many of the artistic aspects of the Museum, including strategic and financial planning for department and gallery-installation projects.
* Create and monitor a multi-million dollar budget.
* Oversee a permanent staff of 10.
* Ensure collaboration and communication between departments to get the job done.
* 5 years of senior-management experience in an art museum or similar institution.
* Manager with “can-do” spirit, diplomacy, and people-savvy to work with peers across all departments and to motivate and create team within own department. Experience managing 4+ professionals.
* Project-management experience with complex exhibition and collection-installation projects.
* Track record of creating detailed plans for major projects, and implementing them on schedule and on budget.
* Experience handling a variety of museum art and decorative-art objects, including glass.
* A commitment to the care and preservation of collections and to welcoming the public to use and enjoy the collections.
* Fresh knowledge on current best practices.
* Budgeting and financial experience and acumen to manage a departmental or institutional budget of $2.5 to $5 million annually.
* M.A. in Art History or related field. Broad knowledge of and love for art.
* Computer skills, including collections databases and 3-D design programs (CAD/CAM).
For full job profile: museum-search.com
Please let us know about your nominations or your own interest in this wonderful job. Thank you.
About the Chrysler Museum
The Chrysler Museum of Art is one of America’s most distinguished art museums, with a world-class collection of 30,000 objects, spanning 5,000 years of history and including one of America’s best glass collections and two historic houses.
Norfolk is a historic waterfront city with a vibrant downtown in a region with many cultural attractions, including Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. Its diverse economy is one of the nation’s strongest. Norfolk hosts the world’s largest naval base and the headquarters of NATO Allied Command Transformation.
Email resume (Word document preferred); cover letter; list of 3 references with full contact information; and salary requirement to retained search firm: Marilyn Hoffman, Museum Search & Reference at: searchandref[at]museum-search[dot]com by June 17, 2011.