Title: Discovery Room Assistant Coordinator
Department: Education Department, American Museum of Natural History
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent
scientific and cultural institutions. Since its founding in 1869, the Museum
has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret and disseminate
information about human cultures, the natural world and the universe through
a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education and exhibition. The
Museum is renowned for its exhibitions and scientific collections, which
serve as a field guide to the entire planet and present a panorama of the
The Discovery Room offers families, and especially children ages 5-12, an
interactive gateway to the wonders of the Museum and a hands-on, behind-the
scenes look at its science. Every major field of Museum science and
research, from anthropology to zoology, is represented. Children,
accompanied by adults, can explore an array of artifacts and specimens,
puzzles, and scientific challenges.
The Assistant Coordinator maintains communications with and plans schedules
for a diverse staff of more than 80 volunteer, intern and part-time
facilitators to ensure the smooth daily operations of the room. The
Assistant Coordinator teaches in all of the room’s programs and serves as a
supervising facilitator during open hours.
* Bachelor’s degree in a Natural Science, Anthropology or Education field,
Master’s degree preferred.
* Demonstrated ability to teach children and adults in an informal learning
* Computer literate (both Mac and Windows preferred)
* Leadership skills and supervisory experience
* Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
* Administrative skills (coordinating daily schedule of part-time and
* Team Player, imaginative, organizational skills
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Serve as supervising facilitator during Discovery Room open hours;
facilitate visitor experiences; explain activities and rules to visitors,
volunteers and interns.
* Occasional weekend work is required.
* Teach during school programs, PD workshops, VIP functions and other
programs as needed.
* Coordinate daily volunteer schedules and the Discovery Room events
calendar to ensure appropriate staffing coverage for all of the room’s
* Assist in the planning of training and enrichment opportunities for
Discovery Room volunteers.
* Maintain visitation data spreadsheets and generate monthly and annual
* Perform basic animal care duties such as watering, cleaning and feeding of
a small collection of invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians.
* Assist in maintaining room equipment, exhibit pieces, worksheets and
supplies in good working order.
* Other duties as assigned
For more information and to apply: