Archaeology Dig Facilitator, Skirball Cultural Center, LA
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks an Archaeology Dig Facilitator to
staff the Skirball’s outdoor simulated Bronze Age dig site and field
lab. The drop-in archaeological dig provides family visitors the
opportunity to excavate recreations of artifacts from the Near East and
use archaeological tools. The adjacent lab tent offers related hands-on
activities, as well as resources for reading and research.
The Archaeology Dig Facilitator reports to the Head of Family Programs
in the Education Department. The position is year round and part time,
and the schedule includes weekend days throughout the year and some
weekdays during summer, winter, and spring public-school breaks. This is
an 8-20 hour/week position with a pay-rate of $15/hour.
* Works to ensure successful interactive archaeology-related
experiences for children and families.
* Resets and maintains dig and lab, including daily prop
* Assists in preparing materials for daily programs including
inventory, upkeep and organization.
* Ensures timely and comprehensive implementation of daily
opening and closing procedures.
* Performs related administrative work as assigned.
* Co-trains and mentors fellow colleagues and volunteers as
* Background in or knowledge of archaeology, archaeological
methods and/or related fields.
* Demonstrated ability to lead educational experiences for people
of all ages.
* Experience working with children and families.
* Ability to work long hours that require physical agility and
* Ability to work outdoors in variable conditions (heat, cold,
* Understanding of and ability to articulate and embody the
Skirball’s welcoming, communal mission.
Please send resume and cover letter describing your skills and interests
by mail, fax, or e-mail to:
Human Resources Department
Re: Family Archaeology Dig Facilitator
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX (310) 440-4595