Education Director, American Craft Council
*Director of Education*
Executive Director of the Council
The director of education is responsible for creating a roster of thought
provoking, strategic and engaging educational programming that will
position the American Craft Council as a leader in the field attract a
growing audience, and facilitate meaningful conversation about craft.* *
*Primary Responsibilities: *
1. In accordance with the Council¹s strategic plan, develop and execute a
roster of programs that will:
o Strengthen economic opportunities within the craft field, including
development of professional development programs for established and
o Promote and advocate for craft as an important cultural resource;
o Provide thought leadership and cultivate critical thinking about
2. Oversee the budget for the education department and work with the
development department to make recommendations for potential sources of
programmatic support for all educational programs. Working closely with the
development team, assist in authoring grants and presentations to
foundations, individuals, and organizations that may give financial support
for education programs.
3. Promote the programs of the Council in collaboration with the
marketing department. Working with the marketing director, identify and
execute promotional campaigns for outreach for programs to a wide audience,
including development of promotional materials in both print and online
4. Identify and develop beneficial programmatic partnerships with other
individuals, organizations, and institutions that will strengthen Council¹s
ability to fulfill its mission to champion craft. Develop and manage key
relationships with local and national craft education, craft media and
other art organizations.
5. Supervise and manage the library as a key component of the Council¹s
education program. Position the library as a premier source for information
about contemporary craft and expand access to library materials through
digitization. Supervise and manage the librarian, developing and
recommending library policies to ensure smooth operation of all library
6. Oversee the biennial ACC awards selection process for entrance into
the College of Fellows. Coordinate exhibit of national award winners and
award celebration programming.
7. Supervise and manage the education associate, education and library
interns, and project-specific contractors to ensure successful execution of
programs and complete after action reviews of work.
8. Act as an ambassador for the American Craft Council and its programs,
promoting the Council as a leader in the field.
1. Work collaboratively with other senior staff and the executive
director to develop education policies and procedures for the Council.
2. Work with committees of the Council¹s board, particularly the
Education Committee and Awards Committee, to determine strategies for
education programming and awards selection.
3. Maintain all records of programmatic and partnership activities.
4. Perform other tasks as assigned or necessary
1. Seven years professional educational program development in the
2. Organized self-starter with excellent written and verbal
3. Well-developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work
closely with trustees, ACC members and colleagues;
4. Proficient computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft
5. Proven track record of successful development of arts educational
programs on a local and national level;
6. Experience in shaping and maintaining national partnerships with
cultural institutions, membership organizations and colleges/universities;
7. Bachelor¹s degree required, Master¹s Degree preferred;
8. Salary commensurate with experience
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to
Alanna Nissen at email@example.com. Please submit your application
by February 29.