*Position:* Assistant Curator of Education, Full-time Position
*Reports to:* Curator of Education
*Salary:* High 20¹s with benefits
*Hours: *Monday through Friday 8am-5pm with some additional weekend and
evening hours required
*About Lakeshore Museum Center:*
Located in Muskegon, Michigan, the Lakeshore Museum Center is comprised of
four historic buildings and one traditional museum building with both
cultural and natural history exhibits. The museum has been in existence
since the 1930s.
*About the Hackley and Hume Historic Site:*
This site preserves the homes of Muskegon’s most famous lumber baron,
Charles H. Hackley, and his business partner, Thomas Hume. Along with
representing the elite of the lumbering era, these Victorian homes are some
of the best examples of Queen Anne residential style architecture.
*About the Fire Barn Museum:*
The Fire Barn Museum is a replica 1880s Hose Company that features a
collection of historic fire fighting apparatus. The Fire Barn also serves
as a living memorial to the brave men and women who have served as Muskegon
*About the Scolnik House of the Depression Era:*
This house is staged as a hands-on home where visitors can experience the
hard times that families went through during the Great Depression.
*Who should apply: *Ideal candidates will be self-motivated and team
They should have experience with and enjoy presenting to the public.
Previous teaching skills or experience with children is preferred. They
must also meet the following minimum requirements.
· Bachelors Degree in History, a Natural Science field or Education
· 1 year minimum museum experience
· Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Outlook,
Word, Excel, and Publisher
· Public speaking experience, as well as excellent written and
verbal communication skills
· Conduct cultural history and science programs for school groups
while meeting educational objectives set by Curator of Education
· Lead cultural history and science programs for general visitors
ages preschool to senior citizens
· Implement and/or create portions of special educational programs
as assigned by the Curator of Education
· Act as first contact for teachers and other groups interested in
museum programs, historic site tours, outreach programs and loan kits and
· Coordinate all museum education calendars
· Maintain and create science and history loan kits for use by
teachers and other community groups.
· Maintain and order program supplies for Education Department.
· Serve as project manager of the Science Center as well as other
exhibit work as assigned
Please submit resume, cover letter, writing sample and application by March
23, 2012. Applications can be found on our website
or at the front desk of the Main Museum.
Cheryl A. Graves, Human Resources
Lakeshore Museum Center
430 West Clay Ave.
Muskegon, Michigan 49440