Part-time Museum Administrator,
Gibson House Museum, MA
The Gibson House Museum, located in Boston’s Back Bay seeks a part time museum administrator with broad administration experience. This job consists of two major responsibilities – managing all aspects of the museum including operations and supporting Board committees and their activities. The Museum is preserved as it appeared during three generations of Gibson family occupancy (1859-1954). Since 1957, it has been operated as a house museum and open to the public. It is a time capsule of daily life during the mid-nineteenth to early twentieth centuries and as a museum of Victorian and Edwardian decorative arts. The Gibson House is a National Historic Landmark (2001), a recipient of a federal Save America’s Treasures grant (2004), landmarked as an Interior Landmark by the City of Boston Landmarks Commission (1992) and registered on the Massachusetts State Register of Historic Places (1982).
(a detailed job description is available upon request)
- Responsible for day-to-day functions of the museum and maintenance
- General office work
- Schedule and oversee museum tours and guides
- Increase membership and maintain database
- Prepare and send out monthly E-newsletter
- Assist with programing, including PR and marketing
Finances & Record Keeping:
- Collect, record and report income/expenses
- Record and acknowledge all donations
- Pay bills
- Prepare payroll
- Work with Treasurer to prepare monthly reports and financial summary for the Annual Report
- Bachelors degree required
- Administration experience
- Excellent organizational/office skills
- Written and verbal skills
- Self-starter/ability to work alone
- Enjoy working with the public
- Familiar with social networking
- Computer literacy – familiar with QuickBooks/Access or willing to learn
- Special consideration given to someone with museum or historic preservation background.
Salary or Pay Rate
How To Apply
A detailed job description is available upon request.
Send cover letter stating interest and qualifications plus resume to GHM1859@gmail.com. No phone calls, please. Position open until filled.