The Institute of Contemporary Art
The Curatorial Assistant will assist with exhibition research, maintenance of documents and
images and support of the overall exhibition process by working with department colleagues,
other ICA departments and exhibiting artists.
• Assist the Chief Curator with a range of research and administrative tasks.
• For exhibition and collection development: research artists and works of art; coordinate and
correspond with artists and galleries; coordinate hotel and travel arrangements.
• Assist curators with catalogue and brochure production, including gathering of images,
securing rights and reproductions, and maintaining project schedules.
• Maintain exhibition check lists.
• Write, submit, and edit text for the ICA New Magazine in collaboration with curators and
• Give tours in conjunction with the education and development departments as needed.
• Respond to artists’ inquiries, slide submissions, and traveling exhibition proposals.
• Coordinate mailings related to exhibitions, catalogues, and brochures.
• Develop contacts with artists, galleries, writers and colleagues.
• Assist Chief Curator with travel arrangements.
• Sort, open, and respond to mail.
Additional requirements of the position:
The Curatorial Assistant will demonstrate a sound knowledge of art history, excellent writing
ability, effective public presentation skills, and capacity to work collaboratively with colleagues
in all departments as well as an interest in communicating to diverse audiences about
contemporary art. In addition, the Curatorial Assistant will be able to work flexible hours when
required and have the ability to work concurrently on multiple projects.
The salary for this position is commensurate with education and experience.
The ICA offers an excellent fringe benefits package to include health and dental insurance,
flexible spending plan, 403 (b) retirement plan, and a generous holiday, vacation, sick and
personal time off policy.
Interested candidates should send letter of interest, resume and salary history to both
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. When applying, include “Curatorial
Assistant” in subject line of email.
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We are located at 100 Northern Avenue, Boston, and
accessible by public transportation.
Chief Curator for departmental work; Sr. Curator for Exhibition work
Full Time, 40 hours per week