DEPARTMENT: Museum Registrar’s Department
REPORTS TO: Head Registrar
POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant Registrar responds to and negotiates reproduction and image requests, processes billing, as well as oversees and organizes installation and object photography for the permanent collection and special exhibitions. He/she reviews the copyright status of works in the permanent collection. The Assistant Registrar provides support to the Registrar’s Department including scheduling art shipments, assisting with collection inventory control, maintenance and upkeep of collection records (electronic and paper), and responding to research requests including scheduling appointments with outside scholars/visitors to view artwork in the collection.
QUALIFICATIONS: BA with background in Art History.
- Excellent computer and word-processing skills, including File Maker Pro and TMS (The Museum Systems).
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Rights and Reproductions:
- Manage all internal and external requests for image use in publications, broadcast, and film. Processing all necessary paperwork pertaining to these requests, processes billing.
- Create and maintain visual resources for permanent collection including photography, transparencies and slides.
- Reviews and approves quality of images/photography under supervision of Curators.
- Hires and supervises contract photographers.
- Organizes and oversees (documentation) photography of each exhibition; schedules and supervises all object photography for permanent collection.
- Reviews copyright status of works in the permanent collection and all new acquisitions, drafts copyright licenses between artist or lender and museum.
- Point of contact for licensing agencies (ie: Corbis, ARTstor, Bridgeman).
- Assist Head Registrar and Associate Registrar with scheduling art shipments, overseeing deliveries and outgoing shipments of artwork; assist with the unpacking and packing of artwork; complete condition reports and also provide data entry (exhibitions and temporary loans).
- Assist with accession record keeping; responsible for shooting digital images of all new accessions, for thumbnail identification in collection management database.
- Assist Head Registrar with permanent collection data entry and collection inventory control.
- Respond to research requests, scheduling appointments with outside scholars to view artwork, upkeep of object files.
Please send cover letter, resume, salary history, and references to: