The Chemical Heritage Foundation seeks a full-time permanent Curator of Fine Art to be an energetic and collaborative member of its museum staff. Reporting directly to the museum director, the Curator of Fine Art is responsible for overseeing the care, management, usage and continued growth of CHF’s collections of fine art, which includes one of the largest collections of alchemy-related art in the world. This position also has an essential role in exhibition development as a curator of innovative and diverse exhibitions that will engage existing and new audiences. The successful candidate will be a critical member of the curatorial and museum teams at CHF.
The Curator of Fine Art is responsible for the management of CHF’s collection of paintings, works of art on paper, and sculpture. In addition to collections management and documentation, the Curator of Fine Art should be an active cross-departmental collaborator and open to exploring ways to use technology and other methods to encourage interest in the collections at CHF. Development of temporary exhibitions is a central part of the position and involves taking an exhibition from concept to physical reality.
- M.A. in art, art history, history or museum studies plus three or more years of museum experience.
- Experience developing exhibits from concept through to completion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of museum principles, concepts, techniques and procedures. Including experience handling fine art collections, knowledge of safe storage, display and transport of fine art and familiarity with conservation requirements for fine art.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the history of science is preferred.
- Willingness to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
Located in the heart of Old City Philadelphia, the Chemical Heritage Foundation is dedicated to documenting and telling the history of chemistry through a museum, research library, special collections and center for scholarship. The museum, which opened in 2008, includes an active temporary exhibition program and continues to grow its audience and programming.
To apply please send cover letter, resume, writing sample (preferably exhibit text/labels) and salary requirements to: REIJobs@chemheritage.org.
CHF offers competitive retirement and health benefits. Compensation is based on qualifications. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. CHF is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.