*To apply for this position online, please go to the Mississippi State
an e-application. If you need more information about the application
process please contact 601/576-6866. *
*STARTING ANNUAL SALARY: $32,400*
*DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS: Monday, October 15, 2012*
The Eudora Welty House (EWH) is one the nation¹s most intact literary homes
and is administered by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Its mission is to educate the public about the importance of Welty¹s
literary legacy, thereby encouraging the love of reading and literature in
others, to develop an appreciation for the arts, and to inspire the
creative endeavors of future artists and writers.
The Director of Education develops and administers the public education
component of the EWH. Duties involve working with teachers and school
groups and with other relevant community groups, centers, organizations and
institutions. The incumbent works under the general supervision of the
Director of the Eudora Welty House.
*Essential Functions & Skills*
Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Research, develop, execute and promote educational programs and tours
suitable for groups that The Welty House and its garden attracts, i.e.
middle, high school and college-aged students, adults, book clubs, and
other special audiences.
2. Develop tour and pre-EWH visit materials for school groups that are
coordinated with the State¹s core curriculum needs.
3. Assist in the planning of in-service and AP workshops for teachers.
4. Prepare and present off-site programs to classrooms, youth centers
and to other pertinent community groups and audiences of all ages.
5. Help assure the intellectual integrity of all programming by working
with the Welty Scholar-in-Residence at Millsaps College, the Director of
the EWH and with Welty curators and archivists at the MDAH when
special exhibits, programs, events and interpretive tours.
6. Assists the Special Projects Coordinator at the EWH in planning
enrichment programs for current and prospective docents and other
7. Incumbent must have experience in a public service environment
involving public event planning and execution; this includes experience
public speaking for a wide age-range in large and small groups.
8. Incumbent contributes to web content and design and is fluent in the
Microsoft Office suit.
*Other duties include, but not limited to:*
1. Conducts house and garden tours as needed and assists in the daily
operations of the EWH.
2. Keeps abreast of Welty in the general media and in literary
scholarship, and maintains resource files to assist educators,
3. Supervises the Special Projects Coordinator.
*Education and experience must meet one of the following criteria:*
– Master’s Degree preferred from an accredited university or four-year
college in American or Southern Studies, Education, English, Museum
Studies, Public History, Public Folklore or related fields.
– Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university
in same disciplines, plus one year of experience in teaching or
programming and outreach.
Stacey K. Everett
Director of Education
PO Box 571
Jackson, MS 39205