Job Categories: Development, Marketing & Public Relations, Philadelphia County (PA), Historic/Cultural Preservation, Libraries/Archives, Museums, Science, Nature, & Gardens
The Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF) invites applications for a Communications Coordinator. A nonprofit library, museum, and center for scholars, CHF is dedicated to understanding and making known the impact of chemistry on society.
CHF’s staff maintain world-class collections of instruments and apparatus, rare books, fine art, and the personal papers of prominent scientists. We host conferences and lectures, support research, offer fellowships, and produce educational materials. Our programs and publications provide insight on subjects ranging from alchemy’s influence on modern science to the social impact of nanotechnology.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Promotions Coordinator, and other Communications and Advancement staff members, as well as staff in CHF’s program areas.
Guide the publication of Transmutations—CHF’s newsletter for supporters, published three times per year—and CHF’s annual Report to Donors. Write copy and provide content-development and production support for a variety of digital and print communications. Manage event photography.
Transmutations newsletter and annual Report to Donors
- Work with Vice President for Institutional Advancement and other Communications and Advancement staff to plan content.
- Assign or write articles.
- Gather artwork.
- Transmit copy and art to design.
- Oversee proof-approval process.
- Oversee distribution.
Additional writing, production, and distribution tasks
- Write, adapt, or rewrite copy for print and digital pieces, including but not limited to web content, event invitations and programs, ads, e-mail marketing campaigns, and external calendar listings.
- Work with Promotions Coordinator to develop and produce a new e-newsletter for CHF constituents.
- Work with outside vendors (graphic designers and printers) to check proofs, move projects forward.
- Help ensure integrated and effective communications about CHF and its programs and events are delivered to all constituencies.
- Maintain sample files for all printed material.
- Organize publications-storage areas and maintain stock levels.
Event photography (Requires occasional evening work.)
- Hire and assist photographers.
- Work with event managers to create photo lists.
- Gather event participants for planned photos.
- Maintain archive of event photos.
- Participate in CHF-sponsored events and other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Two to three years’ experience in communications, publishing, or journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to write copy for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated proofreading skills.
- Ability to work occasional evening events.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel.
- B.A. in English, history, communications, journalism, or related field.
- Experience working on publications from content development through distribution.
- Graphic design experience or knowledge of principles of graphic design.
- Familiarity with HTML and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with content-management systems.
For consideration, e-mail cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to Communications2012@chemheritage.org.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
CHF is an equal-opportunity employer.
Posted: 10/15/2012 Expires: 11/14/2012