Posted by Phillippa Pitts on October 19, 1972 in job announcements
|A rare opportunity to curate a new Manhattan exhibition space’s inaugural show.
The National Museum of Mathematics opens to curious minds of all ages this December 15. MoMath will have an exhibition space in which it will host curated shows of math-related artwork. Its inaugural show will open sometime between mid-September of 2013 and mid-March of 2014, running for at least three months. MoMath seeks a curator for this exhibition.
The exhibition space is roughly 1,000 square feet with average dimensions: 53’ x 19’. The ceiling is mostly 7’ 4” high but one of the long walls rises in a higher ceiling area to about 12’. MoMath intends to produce a four-color exhibition catalogue with essays from the curator and others.
1) Meet with MoMath leadership to discuss the institutional vision for its exhibition space.
2) Propose potential approaches to exhibition programming consistent with this vision.
3) Work with MoMath leadership to determine the inaugural show’s scale and budget.
4) Develop a compelling plan for the inaugural show with as much specificity as possible.
5) Lead senior staff and Art Committee members through a plan review and refinement process.
6) Work with senior staff to develop a detailed exhibition implementation plan.
7) Obtain Art Committee approval for the plan.
8) Upon approval, execute the plan on time and within budget.
1) Significant New York area curatorial experience.
2) Comfort and familiarity with a broad range of mathematical topics.
3) Appreciation for the beauty and inspirational potential of mathematics.
4) Extensive knowledge of existing math-related art.
5) Knowledge of artists currently producing interesting math-related work.
6) Experience producing and executing accurate exhibition budgets.
7) Experience editing and producing exhibition catalogues.
8) Attention to detail.
9) Excellent communication skills.
11) Collegial mindset.
Please submit c.v., a current writing sample, and any other materials you would like MoMath to consider to: email@example.com. Finalists will be asked for references.