The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Education Manager,
Digital Media & Online Learning. As a member of the Education Department,
and in collaboration with the Guggenheim UBS MAP Global Art Initiative
staff, the Education Manager, Digital Media & Online Learning is
responsible for conceptualizing, managing and evaluating learning
initiatives that will promote and sustain meaningful audience engagement
and expansion worldwide through the Guggenheim website, social networks and
other digital/mobile technologies. The Education Manager will work with
staff, curators and contributors from each region to identify and create
content to engage various local online audiences.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to
promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and
other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and
contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through
exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and
publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly
diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and
partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the
Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions
in the world.
There are no direct reports associated with this position.
* Identify and implement forward thinking audience engagement strategies
that utilize digital media to sustain worldwide interest and participation
throughout the life of the project and beyond.
* Work with Education and Curatorial staff to conceptualize, develop and
evaluate a dynamic range of web-based educational initiatives including web
forums, teacher and family resources, and offerings collaboratively
developed with artists, guest presenters and other organizations and
* Implement and maintain a digital database and audio-visual Program
Archive of all public program documentation; co-conceive and manage dynamic
web presence for UBS educational programs including live audience feeds,
post-program transcripts/documents, blog content response; facilitate
requests and needs for digital images for museum publications, external
affairs and SRGM website among others.
* Act as education project manager to liaise with the Interactive staff and
Guggenheim UBS MAP Global Art Initiative Editor to coordinate
implementation of online initiatives and utilization of digital assets.
* Work closely with senior education staff to conceptualize, develop and
evaluate effective online, digital media and mobile strategies as tools for
interpreting content about acquisitions,
exhibitions; engage artist, curatorial and audience insights and other
multidisciplinary perspectives where relevant.
* Research, develop and manage the coordination, evaluation and
documentation of a biennial convening of progressive thinkers who have
proven experience in conceptualizing and implementing technology-based
and/or community organizing strategies to engage
audiences with contemporary art.
* Conceptualize, teach, and/or coordinate the integration of courses and
workshop that utilize the Sackler Center computer labs as interpretive
venues for the project; oversee the maintenance and proper functioning of
the labs with assistance from IT; provide research and advisement to the
Director of Education on ways to continually increase functionality of labs.
* Advocate for and ensure the accessibility of online and digital media
projects for diverse audiences that adhere as closely as possible to
international accessibility standards.
* Prepare and manage technology budgets and coordinate program contracts,
statistics, requisition proposals and documentation.
Qualifications and Requirements:
* Master’s Degree in Art History or Art Education; 3-5 years of museum
experience, preferably in an education or technology department
* Strong knowledge of art history with an emphasis in Modern and
* Strong experience in the development and implementation of educational
and web-based technologies and online learning
* Excellent research, writing, editing and verbal skills
* Proven experience in project management and designing and developing
non-traditional educational approaches that involve online and digital
* Proven experience in inquiry-based teaching methodologies
* Cross-cultural and work experience on a global level highly desirable
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental,
life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys
generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of
cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and
collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including
salary expectations, to
Indicate the job title “Education Manager, Digital Media & Online Learning”
in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.