The Walters Art Museum, an encyclopedic museum located in Baltimore’s historic Mount Vernon Square, presents a rich and varied schedule of special exhibitions and programs for the public, while offering free admission to its renowned permanent collection.
We seek a seasoned, team-oriented professional Manager of Public Relations. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the incumbent serves as the institution’s primary liaison to the press and will have responsibility for creating, implementing, managing and tracking all media relations strategies in an effort to bring positive light to the museum’s many public offerings and to build attendance. Primary duties include:
- Building PR strategies that result in increased press coverage and public awareness by serving as the museum’s spokesperson, coordinating institutional responses to the press and engaging staff for museum information; creating and circulating editorial calendars to key staff and members of the press; writing press releases, media alerts and pitching stories to the press; organizing and scheduling press events for exhibitions and interviews with key staff.
- Managing the efforts of outside PR agencies to achieve heightened media coverage by serving as the liaison to all external public relations agencies, reviewing, editing and re-writing third-party press releases, approving third party media walkthroughs and interviews.
- Expanding the awareness of the Walters and its offerings to Baltimore businesses and community groups by participating in networking groups and serving on cultural/community committees.
- Expanding the museum’s online footprint by using social media to engage with the online community of museum fans and editorial media.
- Managing the PR budget, supervising interns and performing other duties as assigned.
- B. S. degree in Communications or Marketing with an arts background;
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in public relations and marketing with strong emphasis on planning and implementation related to PR/Marketing functions.
- Working knowledge of marketing, including advertising principles and layout/design. Experience with publications and print production.
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, administrative, and organizational skills. Must be a team play and able to work with a diverse group of people at all levels.
Attractive benefits package. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter and salary requirement email@example.com. Application close date is February 28, 2013.
An EOE/An alcohol, smoke and drug free environment.
- No Calls Please