*Director of Education – Job Description*
*MISSION STATEMENT: * The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry is a
non-profit organization whose mission is to spark imagination, stimulate
curiosity and encourage problem solving through the power of play in
families from all backgrounds with young children.
*POSITION: *Director of Education
*REPORTS TO:* Executive Director
*DESCRIPTION: *The Director of Education creates and sustains the
vision for the Museum¹s educational activities; is the primary advocate for
informal education; and establishes and reinforces the Museum¹s position as
an essential community resource for early learning. Principle
responsibilities include the development and implementation of programs,
events and activities which educate and involve the community. The
Director of Education will be involved in all aspects of the Education
Department including CML Camp Program, Field Trips and Groups, School
Outreach, Volunteer Program, Community OutReach Events and Programming, CML
Ongoing Weekly Programming, CML Art Room and more.
*Specific responsibilities include:*
1. Overall Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage an annual program plan and budget which add value
to visitor experiences, support museum projects and reach targeted
– Develop, implement and maintain evaluations for all program offerings,
including fieldtrips, after school, wee classes, camps and special
Establish indicators of program quality.**
– Lead education staff in the implementation of the Museum¹s educational
– Establish develop and implement activities, community art exhibits and
gallery programs that adhere to a rotation schedule.
– Provide direct supervision of the CML Education Coordinator
– Research and support Development Director in the identification of
funding support for education programs and exhibits.
2. CML Camp (Spring Break, Summer, Thanksgiving, Winter, Fridays and
- Develop, implement and manage entire Camp Program including
curriculum, programs, activities and the hiring & training of counselors.
– Manage CML Camp Counselors and Volunteers.
– Manage and coordinating daily car pool.
3. Field Trips/Group Visits/School Outreach
- Ensure that fieldtrips are executed effectively to ensure visitor
– Coordinate, implement and teach students participating in fieldtrips
and after school programs.
– Ensure that CML fieldtrip program offerings are aligned with
appropriate school curriculum and state educational standards.
– Develop and implement Pre & Post visit resource kits for Field Trips
that are aligned with the South Carolina and Common Core Standards.
– Attend and establish relationships with area school faculties by
attending meetings and appropriate events.
– Create a biweekly Teacher Tips e-blast.
4. Volunteer Program
- With strong support from Education Coordinator, organize, recruit,
lead, assign and manage all Adult & Teen Volunteers (including Junior
– Design and implement training programs and recognition events for
– With strong support from Education Coordinator, maintain database of
5. Community OutReach Events and Programming
- Receive, record and maintain CML invitations for OutReach Activities
– Facilitate and manage CML¹s participation in OutReach Activities
including festivals, off-site programs and community presentations.
– Determine programmatic needs and materials for each event, as well as
staffing and Volunteer needs.
– Record and Evaluate results.
6. CML Ongoing Weekly Programming
- Develop daily free literacy-based programming, ensure CML Staff has
knowledge of activity and materials to execute quality program.
– With strong support of Education Coordinator, receive, record and
maintain Program registrations as well as complete confirmations.
– Secure and develop Paid Programs and Teachers.
– Evaluate all programs.
7. CML Art Room and Programming
- Help develop Art Room theme, curriculum and activities.
– Order and maintain adequate supplies.
– Maintain Art Room supplies, materials, storage and use.
– Display art work and projects throughout CML.
– Implement recycled donations procedures.
*Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:*
The ideal candidate will possess passion for working with children and
families and will be experienced in education and development, curricula
development, and informal learning environments. Responsibilities include
management and development of educational aspects of exhibits and education
programming, ensuring consistency between exhibit designs and education
philosophy, and the maintenance and establishment of community partnerships
and collaborations. Responsible for supervising subordinate education
personnel. Experience working with non-profit organizations is preferred.
A degree in education or related field required.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- BS/BA in early childhood or elementary education required and 1-3
years experience in schools and/or museums preferred.
– Ability to plan and deliver dynamic hands-on, inquiry based lessons.
– Experience researching and developing interdisciplinary curriculum for
an array of subject areas including, but not limited to literacy, math
science and the arts.
– Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and manage groups of
– Strong customer service skills with high energy level and ability to
enthusiastically engage both large and small audiences.
– Experience working collaboratively with schools, artists, and other
– Ability to meet deadlines
– Team-oriented attitude
– Desire to work with young children.
– Able to represent CML in a professional manner.
– Excellent written and verbal skills.
– Able to work as part of the senior management team.
– Possess clear understanding of mission and goals of organization.
Able to translate Board and Executive Director organizational vision into
an effective educational strategy.
– Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
– Able to present a professional public image.
– Proficient in MS Office.
– Able to learn new software quickly.
– Openness to new ideas and their implementation.
– Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
– Ability to listen carefully to and understand customers¹ needs, both
internally and externally, and proactively responds to those needs in a
consistent and timely manner.
– Pass SLED background check.
*DISCLAIMER:* The above job description is not an exhaustive list of all
duties and responsibilities of the position and in no way is to be
construed as a contract. As with all positions at CML employment is ³at
will² or voluntary on both the part of the organization and the employee.
Employment is not for a set period of time and may be discontinued by
either party for any reason with or without notice.
Mail, Fax or Email resume & cover letter to:
The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry
25 Ann Street
Charleston, SC 29403
*Don’t forget to visit the Museum-Ed Web site for programs, archives,
sample documents and more. www.museum-ed.org.*