The American Flag House and Betsy Ross Memorial Association, also known as the Betsy Ross
House, (BRH) seeks a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Collections and Exhibitions
Manager. The Collections and Exhibitions Manager will be responsible for the creation of new
exhibits as well as maintaining the collections in accordance with museum best practices. The
position will report to the director of the Betsy Ross House and work closely with staff, including
our parent organization, Historic Philadelphia, Inc.
Among the Collections and Exhibitions Manager responsibilities are the following:
- Organizes and maintains a computerized collections management database and collection files
- Manages incoming and outgoing loans
- Prepares and processes acquisitions and deaccessions, including deeds of gift, purchases, and related correspondence and files
- Organizes and conducts regular inventories of the collection
- Identifies conservation needs and coordinates conservation projects. Completes condition reports
- Maintains collections-related insurance records and files claims as necessary.
- Responds to and manages image rights and reproduction requests, as well as assists in coordinating collection photography
- Schedules art packing, crating, shipping, and rigging. Couriers artwork
- Monitors environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, light levels, pest management system) in galleries and storage, and addresses any problems
- Supervises volunteers, student interns, collections department employees and independent contractors.
- Works with the Director to implement and uphold policies and procedures related to collections management
- Creates housings for objects in storage
- Works closely with the Director, Facilities Manager and Education Coordinator to conceptualize, develop and design exhibits.
- Plans, designs and oversees the construction temporary and permanent exhibits
- Ensures that the exhibits are finished on time and on budget
- Assists with logistics, receiving, packing/unpacking, insurance, and installation
- Creates mounts for objects on exhibition
- Serves as the liaison between the Betsy Ross House and lenders
- Develops and negotiates loan agreements
- Completes condition reports.
- Coordinates movement of objects Handles objects and curatorial cleanings
- Maintains the site’s medicinal herb garden
- Ensures the accuracy of historical content
- Supports the overall visitor experience through ongoing improvements to elements visible to visitors including both interpretive and wayfinding signage
- Serves as the point person in the Director’s absence to maintain smooth operations byresponding to requests, resolving issues and assisting with decision-making
- Creates and manages departmental budget
- Assists in the needs of the organization for public programs and events
- Give occasional tours of the historic house and exhibits
- Assist in planning the site’s special events
- Other duties as assigned
The position requires 3+ years museum experience, as well as a working knowledge of fabrication materials, techniques and specialties such as mount-making and conservation practices. The ability to work well within a team is crucial. Must have strong writing and oral presentation skills. Experience with registration or collections management and collections management database systems preferred. A Bachelor’s degree in American History, Art History or a related field is required; a Master’s degree in Museum Studies or related field is preferred. Must be willing to work occasional nights, weekends and holidays.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, professional position. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants must submit a cover letter with salary expectations and a detailed resume with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.