This position works closely with the Associate Manager of the Great Hall and Information Services by assisting in the management and daily operations related to the Information Desks and facilitation of visitors. This position also supervises all staff and volunteers working with the Information Services Division and directly interacts with the Museum’s visitors.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Coordinate daily responsibilities for the Information Services as outlined by the Associate Manager of Information Services.
• Directly interact with the Museum’s visitors by communicating information about the Museum’s policies, programs, and events.
• Supervise staff and volunteers working for Information Services and ensure sufficient staffing levels for all Information Desks within the Museum.
• Recruit, hire, and train new volunteers for all Information Desks.
• Oversee Information Services’ responsibilities in crowd control and facilitation of visitors in the Great Hall and other locations as directed by General Manager or Associate Manager.
• Supervise and closely monitor inventory of all printed material related to Museum programs and events, including the Museum’s English and foreign language floorplans.
• Manage the data entry of visitor statistics at Great Hall and Uris Center Information Desks, including all non-paid visitors.
• Respond to all visitor inquiries about the Museum’s exhibitions, collections, events, programs, and other services and facilities. Recommend itineraries for Museum visitors.
• Maintain and update basic services such as gallery closings, security issues, special events, lost and found, tour information, city information, and provide change to visitors upon request, etc.
• Liaison between Information Services and various Museum departments. Attend meetings as requested by the General Manager and the Associate Manager of Information Services.
• Problem solve customer service matters when needed.
• Work schedule includes weekends and holidays.
• Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Excellent communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills required.
• Two years supervisory experience required.
• Computer skills required.
• Fluency in at least 2 languages. French, Spanish, German, Japanese preferred..
Knowledge and Education:
• Bachelor degree required.
• Strong art history background required.
• Familiarity with the Metropolitan Museum’s permanent collection and New York City Tourism information preferred.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.