GVSU has a growing collection of more than 11000 works of art, located throughout several campuses in
the state. The art collection includes a Print and Drawing Cabinet with more than 3000 museum quality
works on paper which are an important exhibition teaching resource. The Art Gallery organizes and presents
an average of 11 exhibitions annually at multiple sites and works closely with undergraduate students in
their required graduation exhibitions. The art gallery is deeply involved in placing art throughout new
building projects. This position reports to the Director of Galleries and Collections.
Required Qualifications and Education:
– 5 years museum and or gallery experience organizing, designing and installing exhibitions
– Proven experience in handling and caring for a wide variety of art work
– Proven collaborator
– Excellent interpersonal skills and works well with others
– Highly organized, self-motivated, detail oriented individual
– Outstanding oral communications, research and writing skills
– Able to handle multiple projects at any given time
– Able to design and plan exhibitions and a wide range of art installations
– Able to work with diverse university community
– Knowledge of current design and collections management software systems
– Knowledge of national museum “best practices” methodology
– Knowledge of ADA requirements for exhibition standards.
– Knowledge of safe materials.
– Experience matting, framing, installing and handling art work
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
– Graduate degree in Design ,Art History or relevant discipline preferable
– Knowledge of a wide variety of tools helpful
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
– Designs permanent, temporary and traveling exhibitions with strong interdisciplinary and multicultural
-Oversees placement and installation of permanent collection throughout all university’s buildings and
-Hangs, installs and lights exhibitions
-Handles all media including but not limited to painting, sculpture and works on paper, decorative arts, and
video and film.
– Oversees exhibition theme development and create content narrative.
– Consults with director, curators, faculty consultants and or others to connect exhibits to curriculum
– Oversees, manages, creates and installs exhibitions in changing galleries.
– Develops drawings and three dimensional models for use in planning and constructing exhibits.
– Designs and selects graphic lettering, colors, textures, photos and drawings to be used in exhibits.
– Designs proper environment for objects on display.
– Assists in selecting object/artifacts for display, following the exhibit basic theme.
– Directs the construction of exhibits, determines materials for construction; contracts special – services
needed for construction; supervises actual construction by preparators and student workers.
– Works closely with Art Gallery staff, supervises students and volunteers.
– Collaborates with the greater university community including faculty, students, alumni, visiting artists and
– Organizes and plans exhibitions and special projects.
– Handles a wide variety of works of art.
– Creates and maintains exhibitions budget.
– Designs and prepares printed materials related to exhibitions and special projects.
– Performs related duties as assigned