Pace Gallery, home to many of the most significant artists and estates from the 20th and 21st centuries, is seeking a Freelance Curatorial Research Assistant to conduct research in preparation for an upcoming exhibition scheduled for late 2013. This individual will be required to stay in close contact with the organizing Dealer’s office and consistently provide updates on research completed. In order to qualify, candidates must be able to manage and prioritize their workload independently.
Please note that this is a freelance position which requires a minimum commitment of 3 – 4 days per week.
- Conduct independent research (both general and library research) in preparation for an upcoming gallery exhibition slated for late 2013.
- Acquire research materials for appropriate use in the exhibition using internal gallery resources as well as external libraries, archives, etc.
- Create files and organize research in an appropriate database.
- Fact check research in preparation for the catalogue printing/wall text.
- Source images, loans and other ephemera by liaising with collectors, museums and galleries.
- Provide regular updates on research to organizing Dealer’s office.
- General administrative responsibilities including filing, copying and general organization of files.
- MA Degree required in Art History.
- Strong knowledge of and enthusiasm for modern and contemporary art.
- 2 – 3 years’ experience working as a curatorial assistant required.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a wide variety of personalities.
- Excellent communication required—both verbal and written.
- Must be meticulous with strong attention to detail, exceptional spelling ability and comprehensive understanding of grammar.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong basic computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required; Knowledge of databases such as FileMaker or Access preferred.
Qualified candidates please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, Subject line: Curatorial Research Assistant. No phone calls please.
The Pace Gallery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.