Interim Executive Director (Part Time)
Exciting job opportunity for a self-starter, as a part-time Interim Executive Director for Freedom’s Way
Heritage Association, a 501(c)(3) organization that supports and implements the goals of Freedom’s
Way National Heritage Area. A National Heritage Area is a designated partner organization to the
National Park Service (NPS) to manage, preserve, protect, and interpret cultural and natural resources
of the region. Freedom’s Way includes 45 communities in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The
Minute Man National Historical Park in Lexington, MA is a key partner of Freedom’s Way.
The Interim Executive Director will oversee the successful completion of the organization’s 10 year
management (strategic) plan in cooperation with consulting staff of Vanasse, Hangen and Brustlin. The
Interim Executive Director will serve as the primary liaison to the local and regional National Park
Service (NPS) to ensure the organization meets all federal requirements. In addition to overseeing dayto-day administrative duties, the Interim Executive Director will work with the Board of Directors’
Finance and Development Committee to raise funds to sustain the organization. The Interim Executive
Director is responsible to oversee the work of one part time administrative/operations staff position.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in public administration, environmental studies, historic preservation or
related field. Master’s degree is preferred. A background in planning, community economic
development and land use is a real plus.
• Preferably eight years progressively responsible experience in management positions in creating
• Proven non-profit management or community administrative skills, including budgeting, fundraising,
staff supervision and development, as well as project management.
• Demonstrated superb communication skills with diverse groups of people and organizations. Excellent
writing and verbal skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage complex projects and multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to travel independently throughout the heritage area. Must be able to attend evening and
weekend meetings and events as needed.
• Must have a high level of computer skills, both PC and Apple based, as well as with social media.
• Must be action oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative with a desire build a regional
This is a contract position. Compensation is dependent on qualifications and experience. The interim
executive director is eligible to apply for permanent employment when the FWHA management plan is
approved by the Department of the Interior or as determined by the Board of Directors.
Application deadline: Friday, May 3, 2013. To be considered, please submit resume and
cover letter in confidence to Freedom’s Way Heritage Association; 94 Jackson Road,
Suite 311; Devens, MA 01434. Attention: Search Committee. No phone calls, please.