The Tufts University Art Gallery is hiring Visitor Services Ambassadors for the 2013-2014 academic year. The newly created position of Visitor Services Ambassador combines the responsibilities of visitor service (welcome visitors and provide information about the Gallery and its programs) with those of gallery guide (engage visitors about the exhibitions) and security staff (monitor the artwork on view in the Galleries).
Visitor Services Ambassadors are the first -and often only- staff members that the visiting public encounters, and they are essential to creating a positive experience and a welcoming environment for Gallery visitors. These paid positions offer students relevant training, valuable experience as well as an excellent introduction to working in the museum field.
– Greet, monitor and engage visitors to ensure a positive experience.
– Remain alert; enforce Gallery rules and ensure safety of artwork.
– Open and close the Galleries (switching on AV equipment, lights, etc…)
– Be proactive in learning about the exhibitions on view; respond to visitor’s questions about the artists and artworks.
– Host guided tours of current exhibitions for groups from the Tufts community using the Visual Thinking Strategies method when needed (no previous experience required.)
– Assist with marketing and social media outreach as well as administrative tasks when needed.
– Provide logistical support during occasional events and receptions.
– Visitor Services Ambassadors work during Gallery Hours: Tuesday thru Sunday: 11am-5pm and on Thursday: 11am-8pm. Occasionally, additional evenings and mornings outside of the Gallery’s opening hours will be required when there are special events, receptions and guided tours.
– Students work a minimum of 6 hours per week.
– Preference will be given to students who can commit staying for the entire 2013-2014 academic year.
– Additionally, you will be required to attend bi-monthly meetings with the Exhibitions Coordinator and Education Outreach Coordinator throughout the academic year.
Please note that there is a mandatory extensive training session for all Visitor Services Ambassadors. This will be held from 10 to 5 pm from Wednesday August 28 to Saturday August 31. This paid training includes security and interpretative training, Visual Thinking Strategies training, presentations by Gallery staff, team building activities and field trips to other museums in the Boston area.
We are looking for 10 outgoing and reliable students who are willing to keep learning throughout the year.
Those with an interest in contemporary art, art history, museum studies, art education and/or visual literacy are encouraged to apply. We welcome students from all areas of study. Museum or gallery experience is not a prerequisite.
Open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
If you are interested please submit a resume and cover letter to Laura Conover, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions? Call (617) 627-3094.