POSITION TITLE: Chief Registrar and Collections Manager
Museum of the Moving Image is seeking an individual to serve as the Museumâ€™s Chief Registrar and Collections Manager. This person will direct the planning and day-to-day management and care of the Museumâ€™s permanent collection, all activities concerning incoming and outgoing loans, and oversee the application of approved procedures as well as the production and application of appropriate documentation for all these activities.
- Works in collaboration with the Curator of the Collection and Exhibitions to monitor and evaluate performance of subordinate staff. Provides training and fosters professional development. Plans, prioritizes, and schedules workload, delegating specific tasks as necessary.
- Receives, accessions, and labels objects acquired for the Museumâ€™s collection. Ensures the safe handling and security of the collections by overseeing and managing the movement, exhibition, storage, and disposition of art objects.
- Maintains records of the Museums’ collections and provides information to staff regarding loans, packing, shipping, and insurance.
- Manages all details regarding outgoing and incoming loans, special exhibitions, or permanent installations of objects, including contractual arrangements, loan agreement forms, exhibition contracts, condition reports, and insurance. Manages all shipping arrangements which include coordinating the packing and crating of objects.
- Works closely with staff such as curators, conservators, technicians, packers, and outside art handling personnel in the coordination, scheduling, and monitoring of the safe movement of objects.
- Prepares materials for meetings of the Museumâ€™s Collection Committee, including documentation to assure that the Museums’ permanent records reflect actions taken regarding specific objects or exhibitions.
- Inspects, receives, and documents incoming and outgoing loans and special exhibition objects. Establishes the date and method of shipping of loaned items. Records the measurements of objects and marks for identification of such objects with appropriate accession or loan numbers.
- Provides for proper storage of collections of art and artifacts, which includes coordination with conservators regarding the conditions necessary to store objects safely, as well as the maintenance of storage records.
- Documents and coordinates deaccessions, including establishing legal eligibility of objects being proposed for deaccessions.
- Advise the Executive Director, Deputy Director for Operations, Exhibitions, and Design, and the Curator of the Collection and Exhibitions in developing long-range strategic plans and annual operating plans for the Collection department, and in determining policies related to collecting, borrowing, deaccessioning, interpreting, and exhibiting objects in the collection.
- Represent the museum before professional museum organizations and maintain liaisons in the field.
- Masterâ€™s Degree in Library Science, Film Studies, History, Museum Studies or related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least five yearsâ€™ museum registration and/or collections management experience, including advanced knowledge of museum registration methods, materials handling, packing, condition reports, storage maintenance, transportation, collections care, and storage requirements.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to move 20 to 60 lbs on occasion.
- Hand/eye coordination to safely and efficiently use tools and handle collection items
- Must be able to operate PC and Mac workstations and Microsoft Office software. Experience with museum collection management software preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with a broad range of individuals including donors, volunteers, vendors, and staff.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
It is the policy of Museum of the Moving Image not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin.
|Contact Person:||Wendell Walker||Fax:||718-784-4520|