sent in by Tufts alumna, Jennifer Ortiz
|Job Title||Assistant Registrar|
|Working Title||UMFA Registrar|
|Standard Hours per Week||40|
|Work Schedule Summary||Mon thru Fri 8:00 – 5:00|
|Department||00073 – Utah Museum of Fine Arts|
|Type of Recruitment||External Posting|
|Pay Rate Range||14.00 – 16.00|
NOTE: May close at anytime.
|Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime.
|Job Summary||The Utah Museum of Fine Arts is located on the campus of the University of Utah and offers visitors the opportunity to explore over 5,000 years of human creativity with a collection of almost 19,000 objects and art works from classic Greek and Roman antiquities to cutting-edge, contemporary art. Founded in 1914, the UMFA is the state of Utah’s art museum, creating exhibitions and programs that serve a wide array of audiences. The UMFA is housed in the award-winning Marcia and John Price Museum Building.
The Assistant Registrar is required to develop and implement procedures and practices related to the documentation, cataloging, and movement of objects belonging to, or on loan to the UMFA. The incumbent will actively pursue and incorporate the best professional practices to improve the standards of documentation, administration, and protection of museum objects. Duties include, but are not limited to the completion, and orderly maintenance of forms, legal documents, digital and paper records, and their retrieval systems. Records and retrieval systems are Assistantd with the acquisition, accessioning, deaccessioning, cataloguing, loan, packing, shipping, inventory, insurance, and storage of museum owned and borrowed objects.
|Responsibilities||Accessioning and Deaccessioning
As assigned he/she oversees the completion of tasks necessary for the processing of objects in discrete accession groups into the museum=s collection. Tasks include cataloguing of objects using the museum’s collections management system (CMS), completion of forms, correspondence. As assigned he/she oversees the completion of tasks related to the deaccessioning of objects from the UMFA=s collection. Tasks will include updating documentation and the completion of steps necessary for the sale or transfer of museum property. 10%
|Minimum Qualifications||Associates’ degree in Art History, Museology, or a related field, or equivalency; two years of museum or clerical experience; and a commitment to providing excellent customer service required.|
|Preferences||• Two years of museum registration experience with an emphasis on temporary loan coordination
• Advanced knowledge of museum collections management systems, preferably Argus and/or Argus.net
• Knowledge of proper art handling and packing practices
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work in a professional collegial manner with other departments
• Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum studies, or other related field preferred
• Precise work habits, careful and amenable to instruction. Excellent communication skills.
• Able to lift at least 50lbs, climb and work comfortably on a 20 ft. ladder, and use power tools designed for operation with two-hands.
• Have a good driving record, have or be able to acquire, a valid Utah driving license.
• Able to drive a delivery truck with a 15’ box.
|Additional Information||This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Equal Employment Opportunity
|Special Instructions Summary|
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- University of Utah Web Page
- Internet: search engine, online job board, etc.
- University of Utah employee referral
- Career Services / Campus Job Fair
- Community / Government Agency
- Other / Unknown
- * How many years of museum or clerical experience do you have?
- No experience
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year or more, but less than 2 years
- 2 years or more, but less than 4 years
- 4 years or more
- Cover Letter
- Addendum to the University of Utah – Veteran Only – Call 801.581.2169 after submission
- Form D D-214 (Member Copy 4) – Veteran Only – Call 801.581.2169 after submission