The Amon Carter Museum of American Art seeks an assistant curator with the expertise to assist the curatorial department with projects relating to the paintings, sculpture, works on paper, and photography collections including interpretation, research, publication, display, acquisitions, conservation, development initiatives, and outreach. Support and organize exhibitions, present, and contribute to varied publications. Represent the museum, its mission, and collection to its members and the public at large. This position will report to the Deputy Director of Art and Research.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Art and Research, assist curators with projects relating to the collections of Paintings, Sculpture, Works on Paper, and Photographs including interpretation, research, publication, display, acquisitions, conservation, development initiatives, and outreach. Support and organize exhibitions, present, and contribute to varied publications. Represent the museum, its mission, and collection to its members and the public at large.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research, and assist with interpretation and display including writing for museum publications and funding proposals; publish papers or scholarly works.
- Support and organize temporary loan and permanent collection exhibitions from inception to installation including conceptual outline, selection of objects, research, writing, interpretation, implementation, budget development and oversight, fundraising, and venues.
- Participate in programs related to the ACMAA collection or exhibitions including presentations, gallery tours, front-line staff and docent training, and special events.
- Assist with oversight of the care and handling of permanent collection objects and those loaned for exhibition and acquisition consideration.
- Participate in curatorial staff meetings; assist with development and implementation of short- and long-range program plans; assist with compilation, implementation, and oversight of project program budgets; serve on museum committees as assigned.
- Field inquiries and assist outside researchers; conduct tours for special groups and individuals.
- Advise Librarian and Archivist on acquisition of research books, periodicals, and manuscript materials.
- Assist with evaluation of possible acquisitions and loan requests.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all sensitive museum information.
- Other duties as assigned.
• M.A. degree in art history or American Studies with specialization in painting,
sculpture, photography, or works on paper; Ph.D. preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of research methods in American art.
• Minimum two years museum experience with American paintings, sculpture,
works on paper or photography collection(s).
• Knowledge of standard museum and preservation practices; familiarity with
• Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment for creation and implementation of projects; equally comfortable in a leadership role or as a team member.
• Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and meet deadlines; highly developed organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Experience with collection management systems preferred.
• Demonstrated writing ability; computer, editing, and proofreading skills.
• Demonstrated public speaking skills.
• Excellent listening skills, comfortable receiving input from many sources; able to strategize by analyzing and formulating disparate information into a sound, well-organized plan.
• Emotionally mature with a sense of humor and the flexibility and sensitivity to work with diverse personalities and situations; tactful and respectful of other’s concerns; able to reach objectives when barriers arise using flexible and creative alternatives and solutions.
Salary and benefits competitive. The application deadline is May 15, 2013. Please submit letter of interest, curriculum vitae, references and a list of publications to HR Manager, Amon Carter Museum of American Art, 3501 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth, TX 76107. Fax (817) 665-4315 or Email email@example.com . EEOC.