Fellowship for Excellence in Museum Education at the Museum of the City of
The Frederick A.O. Schwarz Children¹s Center at the Museum of the City of
New York seeks a full-time Fellow to oversee the development, logistics,
implementation and marketing of Family Programs in addition to working with
school groups on a daily basis to deliver our school programs.
The Fellow will work closely with the Director of the Children¹s Center to
create a plan for the Family Programs and work with the Manager of the
Children¹s Center as well as other full time staff to learn the content of
the daily school programs and methodologies for teaching in the galleries
as well as the Museum¹s classrooms.
This is a one year Fellowship beginning just before the start of the school
– Create a year-long plan for family programs including the development of
ideas for each session in accordance with the Museum¹s mission, work with
consultants to implement programming on occasion, create and lead the
majority of the programs being offered, and develop a marketing plan that
can create and sustain a new audience for the Museum
– Teach visiting school groups at least once a day
– Maintain the classroom spaces and all supplies that are used for the
-Coordinate with building and maintenance staff to ensure smooth
transitions between school programs
-Participate in trainings to learn content and evaluate existing programs
on an ongoing basis
-Coordinate community programs with organizations such as the Department of
Homeless Services, NYC Housing Authority, and others
-Market, coordinate, and implement birthday parties
-Collaborate on other departmental projects as needed
– Master’s Degree in Museum Education, History, or other related
educational fields. Strong knowledge of NYC history and contemporary urban
issues a plus.
– Experience teaching in a museum setting
– Ability to work on the weekends, which can mean a 6 day work week when
– Ability to make a year-long commitment
– Some experience working with a wide range of grades and groups with
– Experience working on marketing, creating, implementing and/or evaluating
-Ability to start projects by being flexible, proactive, and enthusiastic
-Knowledge of VISTA is a plus. The Fellow will be expected to quickly learn
how to use our websites ticketing and design programs to post family
programs online for marketing and registration purposes.
-Bilingual a plus
The Museum offers an attractive comprehensive benefits package including a
defined benefit pension plan. Salary is in the low 30¹s with 10 paid
The Museum is an equal opportunity employer.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the name
of the position in the subject line. No calls please.