Posted by Phillippa Pitts on June 7, 1973 in job announcements
||Liberty Science Center
|Type of job:
||$12.50 per hour
||Jersey City, NJ, US
The Interpretation Associate enhances the learning experience of Liberty Science Center guests by facilitating the exploration of exhibits and by delivering educational activities. The Interpretation Associate is responsible for providing exemplary frontline guest services to foster a safe and enjoyable environment.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Consistently present an eager, friendly, service-oriented demeanor.
• Act as an ambassador for Liberty Science Center consistent with our Brand promise.
• Provide outstanding service to all guests in a manner aligning with the Total Guest Orientation initiative.
• Facilitate the exploration of exhibits and engage guests in conversation about exhibit content.
• Prompt guests to discover and understand science concepts addressed within exhibits and activities.
• Assist in the research, development, and implementation of educational activities and programs that support exhibits, films, Camp-Ins, special themed events and other public programs.
• Assist in the facilitation of educational workshops and presentations in the Jennifer A.Chalsty Center.
• Assist in the preparation and facilitation of exhibit companion and lab experiences.
• Participate in delivery of offsite experiences, including Family Science and Traveling Science programs.
• Provide exhibition tours to small groups, disseminating information to enhance exploration.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of all public offerings.
• Provide mentorship to Hospitality Associates and volunteers.
• Assist in training new team members and volunteers in all exhibition spaces.
• Ensure the high quality presentation of public spaces: testing exhibits for functionality, ensuring appropriate appearance of assigned areas, monitoring cleanliness in corridors, etc.
• Provide ongoing communication to management staff with respect to conditions of public spaces, unique guest situations, information and anecdotes regarding guest satisfaction, etc.
• Offer ongoing assistance to guests, providing suggestions for their visit, directions within Center, etc.
• Manage queuing lines and the operation of specific exhibit and theater experiences.
• Assist guests with entry and orientation to facility, theaters, exhibit areas and lunch spaces.
• Assess safety conditions in designated spaces, with particular attention to the needs of small children.
• Respond appropriately to the specialized needs of guests with disabilities.
• Participate in preparation and shut down of all exhibit and public spaces, as well as special activities.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, evenings and holidays. Must be able to stand for long periods of time and maneuver quickly through crowds. Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs.
Must have excellent communication skills. Ability to conduct research using internet. Experience with educational program development and delivery is preferred. Strong understanding of science concepts that are relevant to exhibitions. Comfort interacting with individuals as well as large groups. Enjoy working with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds. Ability to work well as a team member or independently. Ability to provide exceptional guest services in a fast-paced environment. Additional language skills are highly desired, particularly Spanish.
Education: Bachelor degree or pursing college degree in a science field or education is preferred.
Availability: Must be available Friday – Monday