In order to be considered for this position you must apply www.careers.wa.gov. If you have any questions regarding the application process please contact Misty Reese at 253-798-5901 or email@example.com.
This job opportunity will close on June 16th at midnight.
Under the general supervision of the Washington State History Museum Chief Administrative Officer, this managerial position performs administrative and professional retail work. The position has direct responsibility for managing the day to day operation of the Washington State History Museum Store. The position also performs financial, managerial and staff support duties associated with the store. The incumbent is responsible for the development of the correct product mix; the maintenance and monitoring of budgets and inventories; the management and training of staff and store volunteers; and the overall operations of the store. The WSHM Store serves approximately 70,000 – 80,000 visitors each year and is open five days a week, or concurrent the with Museum’s public hours. The position is also responsible for working with WHS Information Technology staff on the development and maintenance of web marketplace functions, if requested. The Store Manager oversees on-line sales and mail orders.
Retail and merchandise management of the Museum Store
- Determine optimum product mix and amounts of merchandise to be offered for sale based on visitor demand, regional trends, educational mission of the Museum and WSHS.
- Maintain financial records, inventory records, and sales records using Altru or other retail software. Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the Chief Administrative Officer, and annual report following completion of the annual July inventory.
- Locate sources and suppliers to establish optimum costs, availability, delivery, and services. Confer with sales representatives, wholesalers and publishers to negotiate prices and discounts.
- Manage the open-to-buy system for buying stock. Insure that inventory levels are adequate to support visitor demand and the profitability of the store.
- Monitor and revise when necessary operational procedures for the ordering, shipping and receiving of merchandise. Authorize the receipt, inspection, and checking in of all merchandise. Audit freight charges.
- Working with the Fiscal Office to reconcile accounting records with those of the WSHS financial services.
- Plan effective merchandise display techniques and layouts. Select, order, and install new shop equipment as necessary. Revise store layouts and displays as necessary.
- Develop new products/merchandise based on WSHS collections, exhibits, and programs. Consult with WSHS staff regarding product development and mix, the appropriateness and accuracy of reproductions, and new product sources.
- Develop and execute marketing and distribution plans for new products and merchandise in consultation and partnership with the Marketing Department.
- Ensure that featured displays in store windows coincide with exhibits, programs, seasonal, and special downtown events.
- Coordinate mail order and online market place. Work with WSHS IT to improve software and coordination of WHS on-line sales.
- Serve as lead floor member, assist with cashiering and customer services as needed.
Management of Museum Store staff
- Prepare position descriptions, interview and hire employees in consultation with Chief Administrative Officer.
- Train store employees, authorize work schedules, plan, assign, manage, coordinate, and evaluate the work of the staff.
- Train staff to provide quality customer service through positive interactions with visitors.
- Develop and monitor opening and closing procedures. Ensure that the Museum Store is staffed and open to the public.
Promotion of the Washington State History Museum Store and WSHS products and services
- Work with WSHS marketing staff to increase the Museum store’s visibility, attendance, and sales.
- Lead the retail elements of marketing programs and special events. Coordinate merchandise with themes, storylines and temporary exhibits.
- Represent the Museum to Tacoma merchant associations, and manage the participation of the Museum Store in downtown events.
Other duties as assigned
- Attend Society and Museum staff meetings.
- Attend gift shows state, regional and national professional conventions as approved to develop inventory and to exchange information concerning professional practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Degree or equivalent
2+ years experience in retail operations
Knowledge of retail operations, merchandise sourcing, and product development.
Experience working with a Point of Sale system.
Knowledge of modern office procedures, including procedures development and implementation.
Excellent public relations and customer service skills, including customer service concepts and techniques.
Excellent computer skills in word processing, database management, point of sale, and spreadsheets.
Ability to utilize the World Wide Web (Internet)
Knowledge of Microsoft Office including strong skills and abilities using Microsoft Word and Excel
Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several projects at once.
Excellent financial management skills.
Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills.
Experience a retail software package.
Ability to work independently without supervision.
Able to legally operate a motor vehicle
Ability to travel independently within Washington and out of state as necessary.
5+ years experience in retail operations, including merchandise sourcing and product development
Experience working in a museum store or museum environment.
Experience working with Altru.
You must also be able to pass a background check.
|Contact Person:||Misty Dawn Reese||Phone:||253-798-5901|