The Whitney Museum of American Art seeks a part-time research project fellow (approximately 20 hours per week through September 2014, with a flexible schedule) to coordinate and assist with research activities for a national project investigating the long-term impact of intensive teen programs in contemporary art museums.
The part-time fellow will report to the Manager of Access and Community Programs. Project-related meetings and conferences may require travel to locations throughout the United States.
About the Project:
In fall 2011 the Whitney Museum was awarded a National Leadership Grant from the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services for a three-year research project to investigate the long-term impact of its teen programs. For this research project the Whitney is collaborating with the Walker Art Center, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles. This study aims to explore how participation in teen programming at an art museum manifests in the long-term in the participants’ personal, professional, and academic lives. Employing a combination of traditional and creative participatory data collection methodologies, this project will gather evidence for outcomes that are sustained over time, and yield insights into the features of high-impact youth programming in museums.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with general research activities, including literature review, analysis, and writing
- Assist with data collection and analysis
- Provide administrative program support
- Oversee budget tracking, invoicing, and disbursements
- Coordinate digital file management and project communications
- Coordinate bi-annual gatherings of project partners and advisors at participating institutions, including travel and lodging arrangements
- B.A. required, M.A. preferred in related field; Graduate students welcome to apply
- Relevant research experience
- Excellent organization and oral and written communication skills
- Experience in MS Office, Outlook, Basecamp
- Interest in museum education, evaluation, and research
- Experience with teen programs a plus!
If interested, please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com