The Development Officer reports to the Executive Director and also works closely with program staff and committees of the Board of Directors in order to advance the Council’s resource-development efforts. These efforts focus particularly on private sources but also include some support for government relations. The Development Officer is an integral member of the Council’s leadership team, ensuring that the Council meets its annual fundraising goals and assisting with new opportunities and initiatives to expand the Council’s network of support. Leading candidates will have at least three years’ experience in comparable non-profits, some humanities or liberal arts background, excellent writing abilities, and will be highly motivated to reach fundraising goals. The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- maintaining relationships with current donors and cultivating prospective donors
- overseeing the Annual Appeal and other campaigns
- overseeing all aspects of special events
- researching prospective individual, corporate and foundation donors and maintaining good records
- writing reports, requests, eNews pieces, and acknowledgement letters and other correspondence with donors
- assisting with communications efforts including social media postings
- overseeing foundation proposals
- supporting advocacy & government relations efforts at the state and national levels
- providing leadership in strategy, goal-setting, and execution.
The best candidates will possess:
- a bachelor’s degree in a humanities field or a strong background in liberal arts
- at least 3 years’ non-profit development experience (or at least 2 years work experience plus work toward a graduate degree in a humanities field).
- excellent writing skills
- good “people skills” including a sense of humor
- good phone and in-person manner
- high motivation to meet targets and goals; good time-management skills
- a commitment to peer collaboration
- sound judgment in maintaining relationships with funders
Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (put “Development Officer” in the subject line as this is a general account).
Only those offered interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The Council is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation.