This position is located in the National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian. The incumbent provides creative leadership for the Museum’s Education Department, overseeing the development and implementation of educational programs for adults, youths, teachers and school children.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in “Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery.”
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- Directs the activities of the Education Department, including its services to elementary and secondary schools, teachers, university students, museum and academic professionals, family groups, and all other adult audiences.
- Oversees the Museum’s docent program, developing and implementing training programs for new docents, organizing monthly docent in-service programs, and overseeing the professionalism of the Museum’s all volunteer docent corps.
- Responsible for planning, developing and evaluating all educational and public programs, including written materials.
- Develops and implements a diverse range of scholarly programs appealing primarily, though not exclusively, to adult audiences.
- Develops with department colleague’s annual budgets and spending plans and manages federal and trust funds allocated to the department.
You must meet the Basic Education Requirements: Degree: that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
In addition to the basic requirement you must have the following:
Experience: One year of full-time experience at the GS-12 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. Specialized experience for this position is defined as experience working to direct, plan, develop and evaluate educational programs and activities which focus on African Art History and Culture.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and/or proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the “Required Documents” section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.