Museum Search & Reference announces the nationwide search for an Exhibition Designer for the Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) in Salem, MA. Enjoy living in the Boston area, on the Atlantic coast, and working at one of America’s largest and most dynamic art museums.
The Exhibition Designer will report to the Director of Exhibition Design Dave Seibert. Must work collaboratively to develop, design, and implement changing exhibitions, installation work, and gallery rotations, including design initiatives for PEM’s expansion.
The Designer’s portfolio should include highly creative, innovative, even “theatrical” design that is emotionally and intellectually alluring. Must have a track record of dynamic and refined installations and be versed in the integration of lighting and media technologies, immersive and/or theatrical techniques. Must be able to multi-task, partake in interpretive discussions, and create nuanced visitor experiences.
Strong communication skills are imperative to present designs effectively to management, donors, curators, educators, design consultants, and preparators; and to establish respectful interaction across departments. Must be able to deliver substantive ideas early while welcoming feedback as the exhibition develops.
- Superior talent in 3-D exhibition design.
- Able to produce visuals and articulate and champion one’s designs.
- BA in a design field: exhibition, architectural, graphic, theatrical, interior, or industrial.
- Minimum of five years experience in a fast-paced work environment, preferably in a museum or design office.
- Knowledge of museum visitor circulation, pacing, safety, and environmental psychology.
- A working knowledge of fabrication materials, techniques and specialties such as casework, mount-making, and safety/conservation practices.
- Must be technically savvy and experienced with design software programs on a Mac platform: VectorWorks, Renderworks, SketchUp, Adobe CS6 and Microsoft Office software.
How to apply:
Email resume, cover letter, salary requirement and an edited portfolio of five relevant projects, plus a list of three references with contact information to retained search firm: Marilyn Hoffman, Museum Search & Reference at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 26, 2013. EOE.
About the Museum
The Museum is adding approximately 75,000 square feet of new galleries, including an additional 15,000 square feet of changing exhibitions, expanded public program and education space, essential improvements to collections storage, conservation functions, and a new restaurant. The expansion will support an even more dynamic changing exhibition program and innovative new installations for PEM’s global collection. Visit: Peabody Essex Museum