About the Institution
Established in 1971, the Tyler Museum of Art is a non-profit organization governed by a Board of Trustees. Its mission
is to exist as an educational and cultural center to enrich the lives of East Texas citizens and visitors through the
collection, preservation, study, exhibition, interpretation, and celebration of the visual arts.
The Museum is housed today in an award-winning structure nestled on a tree-shaded site, adjacent to the campus of
Tyler Junior College. The building contains two major exhibition galleries on the ground floor, the North Gallery and the
Bell Gallery; as well as a research library, classroom, café, and gift shop.
The TMA’s growing permanent collection features more than 1,200 works including paintings, prints, photographs, and
sculpture by artists such as James Surls, Vernon Fisher, Alexander Calder, Terry Allen, and Charles Umlauf, in addition
to almost 1,000 objects in the Boeckman Collection of Mexican Folk Art – one of the largest collections of its type in the
Institution Website Address http://www.tylermuseum.org
Summary of Responsibilities
The Registrar/Collections Manager is responsible for managing the Museum’s permanent collection, maintaining
collection records, overseeing movement, packing and shipping of collection objects, arranging for insurance, and
preparing collections-related grant applications.
The Registrar/Collections Manager facilitates access to the collection for the Museum’s professional staff, scholars and
researchers, provides access to collection records on site and maintains the collection database.
The Registrar/Collections Manager also coordinates all incoming and outgoing exhibitions, provides for the proper
handling, packing, crating, transport, insurance and installation of exhibitions, processes related paperwork, and
assists in the installations and de-installations of exhibitions.
1. Provide for the daily management of the permanent collection as well as the maintenance and updating of the
collection files and the collection database; respond to inquiries about the collections; handle all accession and loan
documentation, including deeds of gift, loan forms, packing, shipping, and insurance arrangements.
2. Coordinate procedures for incoming and outgoing loans, shipping, packing and insurance arrangements for the
permanent collection as well as temporary loans and exhibitions and prepares all necessary documents relating to this
3. Coordinate requests for rights and reproductions of visual records of collection (slides, transparencies, prints and
4. Implement the Museum’s Collection Management Plan, Policies and Procedures.
5. Assisting with exhibition production.
6. Conduct and maintain a periodic physical inventory of collections and ensures on a regular basis that inventory is
7. Assist in the preparation of the department budget and take responsibility for performance of approved budget.
8. Monitor physical condition and movement of collections and exhibitions, identify conservation needs, monitor
storage areas and galleries for security and environment.Required Qualifications 1. Three year’s experience working in the registrar’s department of an
2. Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, art history, cultural studies or
related field. Master’s degree preferred. Or, in lieu of the above,
acceptable combination of college degree and/or job experience.
Compensation Negotiable, depending upon qualifications.
Apply with this email: email@example.com
Special Instructions to Apply: Please attach letter of interest and CV to e-mail when applying. Include
“TMA Registrar Position” in subject line. Application materials also may
be mailed to Tyler Museum of Art, Attn: Chris Leahy, Director, 1300 S.
Mahon Ave., Tyler, TX 75701.