The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a national historic landmark, has welcomed more than 10 million visitors and currently welcomes almost one million visitors annually. The Museum’s mission is “to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.” The Museum pursues this mission through a dynamic and enriching exhibition environment recounting human stories behind the machinery on display in relation to the service era of the Intrepid: in World War II, the Cold War, NASA recovery missions and three tours in Vietnam. In connection thereto, the Museum delivers a broad range of credible, innovative, and engaging educational programs supplementing classroom learning in history, science, and leadership as well as extensive public and proprietary programs honoring those who serve our country – all to inspire our youth.
We are seeking a Museum Educator. The positionwill work closely with Manager of School Programs and the School Programs Team in the research, design, delivery and evaluation of professional development programs for K-12 teachers. Proven understanding of NYC DOE, New York State, and Common Core Learning Standards is required. This position calls for a creative, organized, energetic and well-spoken individual who will deliver Museum programming to students, teachers and families. This position will include work with both history and science programming. Additionally, this position requires leading gallery demonstrations in the Museum’s interactive areas, space shuttle pavilion and assistance with department-wide weekday, weekend and evening educational programs for audiences of all ages and both at the museum as well as schools and community venues throughout the New York area.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with Manager of School Programs to develop, deliver and evaluate programs for school students, teachers and public.
- Primary teaching responsibility includes the delivery of Museum programs to students in grades K-12
- on-ship tours, workshops and distance learning
- off-ship science and history sessions in NYC schools and after-school programing
- Assist in the coordination of museum leadership speaker programs.
- Lead programming for the general public and families, visiting college groups, and other private groups during holiday and summer camp programs, often scheduled on weekends and holidays.
- Collaborate with colleagues within the Education Department as well as professional staff in curatorial, development, and museum services departments on programs, events and Museum logistics.
- Lead weekday and some weekend demonstrations for general visitors, families and groups in the Exploreum and Space Shuttle Pavilion.
- Assist with department-wide weekday, weekend, and evening educational programs, including workshops, classes, seminars, and public programs.
- Represent the department at trade shows, teacher events, fairs, and community events
- Perform other duties as required by management.
Qualified candidates will have a BA or MA in Education, Museum Education, Museum Studies or other related history or science field. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in museum education, interpretation, or teaching in formal or informal educational venues. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic team member with strong written and verbal communication skills who is able to work collaboratively across departments and with outside contacts. Candidates must have strong organizational skills, and be able to manage multiple projects. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic team member with strong written and verbal communication skills who is able to work collaboratively across departments and with outside contacts. Must exhibit a mature and professional demeanor both in presentation and actions. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings is necessary. Teacher Certification a plus.
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to:email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.