The primary responsibilities of the Collections Management Assistant are to (1) input object information (including gallery labels, conservation reports, and curatorial comments) in the collection database (TMS); (2) photograph works of art and input images in TMS; and (3) provide support for the collections management and curatorial staff in the organization and execution of regular rotations and special exhibitions, including maintenance of object lists.
This position has an end date of December 31, 2015.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Input and update object information in TMS for works in the Asian Art permanent collections (with specific attention to Japanese works of art) and for loans
• Photograph objects in the collections and works on loan, scan images, and review local collection images after they have been loaded to TMS
• Special exhibitions: generate exhibition loan agreement forms; create and regularly update exhibition object lists in TMS; produce object checklists for use by Editorial, Design, Communications, and Digital Media departments
• Assist in processing outgoing loans as needed
• Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Photoshop required
• Knowledge of The Museum System (TMS) or comparable collections database system required
• Experience in digital photography required
• Able to work both independently and in close cooperation with Department staff
• Capable of performing repetitive tasks with close attention to detail and accuracy
Knowledge and Education:
• B.A. in art history, history, or related subject required
• Serious interest in collections management required
• Knowledge of Asian art history and written Japanese language preferred
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.