The Departmental Technician is the caretaker of the Islamic collection, in coordination with the other members of the collections team and the curatorial staff. He/she is responsible for handling and movement of the works of art for display in the galleries, conservation, study, photography, storage, installation and deinstallation of special exhibitions, and rotation of works on paper and textiles. The installation of hanging objects will involve driving a scissor lift. The technician is responsible for the cleanliness, order and safety of the galleries and storage areas. Knowledge of digital imaging and database systems are necessary to assist with the movement of artworks, conducting the annual inventory and documenting artworks. The technician supervises the viewing of art in storage for scholars, visitors, classes and works with departmental interns and fellows on special projects. When necessary, he/she is responsible for other departmental duties as assigned.
The current salary is $31,923 per annum.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Safe handling, movement and storage of art
• Track art movement
• Prepare artworks for exhibtion
• Drive scissor lift
• Install art
• Inventory art
• Maintain galleries and storeroom
• Assist with viewings
• Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Minimum of at least two years’ experience in the care and handling artworks is required
• Ability to work on projects in a team environment and individually
• Meticulous attention to detail when handling objects and recording of collection information
• Must have good hand skills and mechanical sensibility
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
Knowledge and Education:
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Computer experience preferred (Photoshop, experience with databases)
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.