SUMMARY: This is a one-year term seasonal position with the possibility of extensions with the
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, Division of Parks and Recreation, working
out of the Central Office in Dover, DE. This position will consist of approximately 35 – 40 hours per week
and 29 hours per week from mid-December to mid-March.
The position is responsible for supervising the writing, editing, design, layout and printing of all State Parks
design, fabrication and installation of statewide exhibits and development of other media. The position is
responsible for ensuring interpretive media (interpretive signage, exhibits, and videos) are distinctive,
attractive and informative to the public. Working with park personnel and contractors in order to meet the
park’s needs and within their budget restraints is a significant aspect of the work. In addition, the incumbent
is responsible for designing, renovating, restoring and/or furnishing rooms at historical sites with the
guidance of the Park Historian. Principle contacts are with contractors, Nature Center Managers, Park
Interpreters, Park Administrators, Park Superintendents, museums, historians, and support
groups/organizations (e.g. friends groups).
• Locates and recommends contractors, provides direction on assigned projects, monitors
work/progress/project cost and evaluates and approves product.
• Conducts cultural, historical and natural resource research for exhibit development.
• Meets with park personnel in order to determine their needs, determine whether projects can be done
in-house or need to be contracted out, estimate cost, schedule/prioritize projects and create
distinctive, attractive and interpretive exhibits, media and publications.
• Recommends needs such as equipment, supplies and printing for budgetary purposes. Monitors
expenditures, writes job specifications and oversees bidding process for contractual design, exhibit
fabrication or printing work.
• Maintains online inventory of current waysides.
• Develops inventory of indoor exhibits.
• Coordinates rotation of art exhibits, develop new exhibits and exhibit spaces.
• Maintains physical files and database with links to print files, research, text, images installation, etc.
for current waysides and exhibits and new projects as they are developed.
• Designs, renovates, restores and/or furnishes rooms at historic sites.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of graphic design and layout.
• Knowledge of the methods and techniques of designing and constructing exhibits.
• Knowledge of computer-aided graphic design equipment, scanners and printers.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of interpretive writing.
• Knowledge of natural, cultural and historic resources.
• Skill in effective communications.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and meet goals and objectives.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people.
• Ability to conceptualize and apply artistic skills to the design and development of interpretive media.
1. Experience in exhibit design.
2. Experience in graphics and printing work which includes planning, designing, creating and
producing artistic visual materials, utilizing various techniques, and equipment for the development
of informational/educational media such as publications, exhibits, outdoor signage, displays and
3. Experience in cultural, historical, or natural resource research to provide context for exhibits,
programs, tours, historical sites and artifacts.
4. Experience in museum practices such as collection management, research, exhibit design,
management and handling collections, and preservation of maintenance of historic buildings.
BENEFITS: This is a seasonal position with no benefits. Direct Deposit of paychecks will be required as a
condition of employment for new employees.
*The State of Delaware is AA/EOE (Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer)*
Please send resume, three references and a completed state seasonal application to:
Interpretive Exhibits Coordinator
Division of Parks and Recreation
152 South State Street
Dover, DE 19901
(302) 739-6967 FAX
Note: applications are available on-line at: