The Curator is responsible for the management of the HSDC collections and exhibits. The Curator reports to the Executive Director. Part-time, 30 hrs a week. (Monday through Thursday during regular office hours. Occasional weekend activities.)
Starting pay: $15 an hour (with potential for increase after 6-month probationary period.)
The successful candidate shall:
• Hold a BA/BS, preferably in museum studies, history, or related field.
• Have hands-on experience in collections management for a historical or cultural organization and familiarity with collections database systems.
• Possess excellent research, writing, organizational and planning skills.
• Experience in developing exhibits and educational programming is desirable.
• Experience in IT support/maintenance is preferred.
Specific duties include the following:
• Meet and correspond with donors and accept or reject donations according to the Collections Policy and needs of the collection.
• Work closely with the Collections Committee on collections acquisition and policy development.
• Manage collections care and processing, including accessioning, cataloging and storing artifact, document and photographic collections.
• Maintain Past Perfect database and develop procedures and finding aids for collections.
• Train and supervise volunteers and prepare reports for the Executive Director on the status of collections and exhibit projects.
• Manage photo reproduction orders and answer collections correspondence.
• Research, develop and oversee installation of exhibits.
• Develop and implement public programming, including tours, workshops and children’s programming.
• Assist with facilities management, including monitoring climate and the condition of historic furnishings.
• Assist with IT and website maintenance.
• Assist with historical society functions, including staffing events and programs.
• Other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest, including personal contact information; a current resume; and contact information for three references by February 21 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attached documents must be in Microsoft Word or PDF formats. Thank you for your interest.