Reporting to the executive director, and in close coordination with Thinkery’s leadership team, the director of education oversees the development and implementation of effective educational experiences as well as the education staff; creates a high performance culture; develops, motivates and evaluates a diverse, talented team across assigned functions; and develops and executes programs and events that produce measurable results and visibility for the organization.
- Works closely with executive director and the leadership team to develop exhibits, programs and educational experiences that develop the next generation of creative problem solvers and position the organization as a leading informal STEAM education provider.
- Provides strategic and creative direction, content/program development and review, integrated team management and operational oversight to education team.
- Refines the organization’s educational framework and aligns all aspects of programs and exhibits.
- Provides executive management for all aspects of exhibit and program development.
- Works closely with key staff to develop earned revenue by building a robust fee-for-service program model.
- Leads effort to establish measurable objectives and practicable evaluation procedures to assess the effectiveness of educational content and interpretive techniques.
- Assists development staff in preparing funding proposals for exhibits and programs and leads activities related to state and federal grant opportunities.
- Develops and nurtures relationships with the community to position the museum as a leading resource in informal education.
- Guides and monitors the allocation of resources and expenditures to maximize earned revenue potential and ensure efficiency, strategic alignment and budgetary compliance.
- Provides accurate and timely analysis and reporting of departmental outcomes.
- Leads the education team to ensure optimal coordination and synergy of educational efforts across all museum departments.
- Develops and oversees the strategic approach and development of community partners to further the organization’s outreach efforts.
- Provides collaborative oversight of departmental projects (exhibits and programs) from conceptualization, resource allocation, production, budget compliance, presentation, evaluation and maintenance.
- Oversees development and management of departmental budgets.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervises associate director of programs, associate director of exhibits and associate director of education.
- Proven professional with 7-10 years of experience in a senior leadership position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- High energy, self-motivated, collaborative, creative, detailed, thorough and confident.
- A leader of the highest integrity, embracing a diverse workplace and customer base.
- Has the ability to conceptualize and analyze both existing and potential problems and solutions, identifies key performance indicators, and systemic improvements resulting in sustainable impact.
- Can operationalize mission and vision, sets compelling goals, and turns them into thorough, actionable and quantifiable plans, schedules and procedures.
- Has a collegial attitude and is supportive and collaborative member of the organization’s leadership team.
- Schedule and availability reflects that the organization is a 7-day-a-week operation. Coordinates with other members of the leadership team to ensure direct service staff has support during all operational hours. Periodic duties outside of/in excess of regular work week schedule during seasonal high volume times.
- Assists in engaging and sustaining volunteers through introduction, information sharing and oversight (when applicable). Proactively provide support ensuring each volunteer has a productive, safe and meaningful experience.
- Periodic support and programmatic duties in other museum areas.
- Professional attendance at some museum functions and special events.
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.
To apply please submit resume, cover letter and 3 professional references to Paige DeLeon, HR Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 7 at 5pm. Please include the following in the subject line of your email “DE Application- YOUR LAST NAME.FIRST INITIAL” (example: DE Application-DeLeon.P)
- See more at: http://aam-us-jobs.jobtarget.com/jobseeker/job/16388451/?ct=t(November_3_201110_28_2011)#sthash.fEhjdkPL.dpuf