This position is responsible for administrative functions of the docent and tour guide programs, including scheduling, communication, staff and program assessment, and some clerical duties. This is a flexible position and will require some evening and weekend work.
• Assist with the recruitment, screening, and orientation of a diverse, quality docent and tour guide corps.
• Help develop and implement a comprehensive initial and ongoing training program.
• Work with other relevant staff to formalize systems, policies and procedures for both programs.
• With the help of the Interpretive Programs Coordinator, coordinate all aspects of both programs, including daily logistics, scheduling, and ongoing retention efforts.
• Under the guidance of the Assistant Director of School and Family Programs, and in collaboration with docents, guides, and other appropriate departments, develop and implement interpretive experiences for Museum visitors.
• Ensure that all content provided by and to docents and guides is vetted for authenticity and accuracy.
• Collaborate with Assistant Director of School and Family Programs and the Docent and Guide Trainer to develop and implement an evaluation and assessment program.
• Act as a liaison with Museum staff involved with the Docent and Guide Programs.
• Provide docents with effective and responsive support and supervision to ensure an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
• Regularly communicate in a timely manner with docents in the Museum and via phone, email, and mail, providing information about Museum programs, scheduling, activities, etc.
• Model for docents appropriate public engagement, including interpretive skills and knowledge of content.
• Effectively facilitate and participate in docent meetings.
• Provide timely, relevant, and accurate information to docents through pre-shift talks, participation in and facilitation of formal and informal discussions and meetings.
• Offer formal and informal opportunities for docent feedback and dialogue.
• Research, communicate, and/or coordinate educational and other benefit opportunities for docents.
• Develop, with the Assistant Director of School and Family Programs, administrative procedures, protocols, and forms to ensure the efficient and effective management of the Docent and Guide Programs.
• Use and maintain appropriate technology to communicate to docents and guides.
• Effectively use technology to track individual docents and guides relevant statistics.
• Maintain up-to-date informational files on all docents and guides.
• Use computerized scheduling program.
• Responsibly and accurately process all expenditures and collection of funds.
• Other duties as assigned.
• College degree or equivalent required
• At least five years’ experience coordinating Museum interpretive programs, preferably with volunteer management experience
• Knowledge of and experience with volunteer management concepts and best practices
• Basic knowledge of museum engagement concepts and best practices
• Highly organized; able to organize details and schedules
• Self-starter, takes initiative, works well independently
• Excellent communication skills, including telephone, interpersonal, and written skills
• Able to interact professionally and appropriately with staff, volunteers, and the public.
• Ability to organize and facilitate meetings
• Command of a second language preferred
• Able to work some weekends and evenings as needed
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook calendaring, and relevant database software
• Able to prioritize continually shifting tasks; reliable and able to follow tasks through to completion in a timely manner.
• Ability to accept guidance, direction, and supervision; able to give feedback and share ideas appropriately and professionally.
• Full-time position
• Schedule involves a five-day work week and some additional weekends as needed. Schedule will require a combination of early morning and late evening hours as well as some holidays.
• We offer a competitive salary and full benefits package
• Please state the location where job posting was seen.
• Send cover letter and resume by 2/28/2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please visit our website at www.911memorial.org
The National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center Foundation, Inc. is committed to workforce diversity. EEO.