The Curator of Exhibits is responsible for the visual presentation and interpretation of the Greensboro Historical Museum through demonstrated high standards in planning, designing, fabricating and managing the museum’s permanent and changing exhibits. Responsibilities include the conceptual and detailed designs that incorporate objects, graphics and media necessary to interpret an exhibit’s key messages. The selected applicant will chair the museum’s exhibits team, plan and manage the exhibit calendar, administer contracts and develop and manage city and corporate budgets. The employee is required to have knowledge of the latest developments in exhibit design concepts, techniques, technology, and ADA standards; as well as skills to maintain audio/video exhibit components. The Curator will collaborate with museum departments to provide an integrated and cohesive learning environment for visitors. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to organize and deal with competing deadlines and tasks. The selected applicant must possess project management experience and leadership skills using best practices and tools to schedule, track, execute, and shift priorities for multiple, simultaneous initiatives. Skills should include knowledge of printing and mounting techniques including large format printing This job is Exempt and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- BA from an accredited college or university in art, art history, design, architecture, museum administration, museum studies, history or a related field
- 2 Years experience in preparation and installation of exhibits using carpentry and construction skills (Must Indicate on Application)
- 1 year demonstrated project management experience (Must Indicate on Application)
- 2 years work experience using printing and mounting techniques, including large format printing. (Must Indicate on Application)
- 2 years work experience using CAD software, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Microsoft Office or equivalent software (Must Indicate on Application)
An Ideal Candidate Would Also Possess (Preferred Qualifications):
- Post-graduate degree from an accredited college or university in art, art history, museum administration, museum studies, history or a related field.
- Three years experience in museum or gallery environment
- 1 year experience working in a history, science or related museum
- 3 years demonstrated leadership and project management experience
Special Notes Concerning This Position:
- For further information regarding this position and other City jobs, please visit us at http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=747 to download and complete a City application. Resumes and cover letters will not be accepted in lieu of a City application.