Full Time Permanent
The Olana Partnership seeks a Director of Education. Reporting to the COO
and as part of the senior management team, this key position provides
long-range vision and general operating plans for all educational
programming. The Director of Education conceptualizes and implements a broad
range of public and school programs, continually establishes and manages
relationships with local educators, educational organizations, schools and
place-based destinations, as well as manages/oversees all contractors as
well as the training and mentoring of the part-time Educator position.
Working closely with the State Interpretive Programs Assistant (assuming
that position is filled) s/he will help to implement Olana’s education
mission and coordinate with all site staff to ensure high quality
educational experiences for all visitors.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Develop school educational packages; going out to the schools pre and post
visit; coordinating and giving school tours; providing after-school
* Supervise part-time Educator.
* Develop and implement public programs calendar including art workshops,
performances, lectures, book signings, home school programming, scout
programs, toddler programs, drop-in events, summer camps, etc.
* Research, plan, schedule/book, evaluate and manage school programs and
tours as well as professional development workshops for teachers and
after-school enrichment programs.
* Supervise front end operations including admissions, reservations,
registration, and payments.
* Create budgets and contracts for programs and negotiate instructor fees.
* Establish and manage strategic partnerships with local and national
organizations and schools, local artists and potential program instructors.
* Hands-on facilitation of programming; introductions and follow-up with
* Development, implementation and evaluation of program attendance and
* Preparation of quarterly reports on education goals met for TOP Board.
* Related administrative tasks including brochure program descriptions,
emails and calls to potential contractors, answering program questions.
* Development of new program ideas, curriculum, and content designed to
further TOP’s mission and goals.
* Order necessary program materials and supplies.
* Recruit and train qualified public program contractors.
* Collaborate with the curatorial staff to develop exhibit-related
* Work with TOP’s marketing staff to promote programming and edit program
* Provide programming information for grant proposals and reports.
* Ensure quality control for day-to-day operations and work closely with
other operational leadership staff to facilitate a transformational and
seamless visitor experience.
* Maintain budget and educational program data.
* BA and MA/MS in Education, Museum Studies or other related field required
* Successful track record of developing and implementing new quality
programming and partnerships from the ground up at another educational or
* Five years’ experience working in informal and formal education settings
(for example, art museums, historic sites, zoos, arboretums, sculpture
parks) with an emphasis on programming that educates through engagement and
* Knowledge of the operations and procedures of museums/cultural
* Strong computer literacy
* Extensive organizational skills including time management, scheduling and
* Understanding and previous experience of budgets and fiscal responsibility
* Experience working with the public and knowledge of audience development
Please email cover letter and resume to Cheryl O’Donnell at
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Education” in the subject
No phone inquiries, please.
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered commensurate with
experience. The Olana Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.