The Supervisor of Visitor Experience is responsible for overseeing Visitor Assistants and Lead Visitor Assistants in their day-to-day work and for ensuring the visitor experience operates smoothly and efficiently. The Supervisor of Visitor Experience is also responsible for making sure that visitors’ first impressions of the Aquarium are positive, welcoming, and fun.
- Directly supervise Visitor Experience staff in their day-to-day functions and help to create an environment defined by excellent customer service, communication, and fun. Help establish high standards for staff and ensure accountability to those standards through positive reinforcement and incentive programs. Conduct written and oral performance evaluations and address performance issues as needed.
- Develop and implement policies and practices for recruiting, screening, and hiring enthusiastic staff who demonstrate good judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Ensure the completion of HR/Payroll procedures and paperwork in a timely fashion. Coordinate staff on- boarding and exiting with HR.
- Responsible for overseeing all Visitor Assistants and Information/Membership Representatives on designated days and/or for designated events.
- Work with Manager of Visitor Experience to create weekly and daily schedules based on anticipated attendance and functional needs. Make adjustments to schedule as needed to be responsive to changing conditions. Manage staff time-off requests and timecards.
- Work directly in positions to observe, coach, and model standards for visitor interactions and customer service.
- Provide strong leadership for team and demonstrate quick problem-solving and flexibility. Courteously respond to customer service complaints as they arise and refer to Manager/Director as needed.
- Ensure all operational systems are in place for the Aquarium’s timely opening and for safe and efficient operation throughout the day. Resolve operational issues as they arise.
- Cross-train at the Information and Membership Desks. Assist in managing and facilitating the cross-training of Visitor Assistants and Information/Membership Representatives in all areas of the department.
- Work with teen programs and the volunteer office to ensure the integration, training, development, scheduling, and management of the volunteers, interns, and teens meets the needs and expectations of their programs and the Visitor Experience Department.
- Work with Education Department and other staff to coordinate group visits, especially in relation to group greeting and lunch scheduling.
- Ensure that the Information and Membership registers balance at the end of the day and assist the Manager in performing basic coupon and cash corrections when necessary.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of related experience in operations of a busy cultural institution and in supervision of staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong supervisor of staff with ability to ensure staff are capable of delivering on the mission of the Visitor Experience department.
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive work environment and to maintain staff morale and team spirit.
- Strong customer service and operations experience in a fast paced, high volume environment.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with challenging visitor situations.
- Self-directed and resourceful problem solver.
- Willingness to have flexible schedule including weekend work.
- Passion for the mission of the New England Aquarium.
- Willingness to participate in our First Aid Responder program
New England Aquarium is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.NEAQ.ORG TO APPLY ONLINE