The position of Collections Manager exists to define, implement, manage, and execute responsible stewardship for the collections of History Colorado, which by statute are held in trust for the people of Colorado, in accordance with established professional standards and best practices in the field.
The Collections Manager applies concepts, principles, and techniques of professional museum collections management to the administration and coordination of all History Colorado’s collections activities including documentation and tracking, physical management and care, conservation, access, and use. The Collections Manager provides a high level of project management and provides leadership in the absence of the Director of Collections Management and Registration, to whom the position reports. The Collections Manager works with other members of the department and division for planning, developing and implementing strategies for collections inventory and documentation, storage, and other collections projects. This position is responsible for ensuring that History Colorado stewards and manages its collection in conformation with state and federal legal considerations, established ethical standards, and best practices in the museum and archives fields. The Collections Manager is responsible for maintaining and enforcing principles of the Collections Management Policy. The position also provides a high level of public outreach and access to internal/external patrons, including fulfilling work orders for collections access and movement.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Master’s degree in Museum Studies and minimum of two years of direct practical experience
- Extensive knowledge of museum collections standards including applicable laws and ethical codes as set forth by AAM (e.g. Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, tax requirements for charitable donations, AAM’s Accreditation Commission’s Expectations for Collections Stewardship)
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with building storage and travel mounts, rehousing collections, and conducting collection inventories
- Collections Management or Registration experience with large collections and projects (100,000+ objects), including management of staff (paid and unpaid)
- Minimum of two years experience handling, packing and shipping museum objects of a widely varying nature
- High level of proficiency with collections management database, Argus experience is desirable
- Knowledge of conservation practices including the standard agents of deterioration, their effects on different types of artifacts, and how to best mitigate their effects (theft, fire, water, temperature, relative humidity, pests, light, contaminants, etcetera)
- Demonstrated experience in project management, meeting deadlines, and multi-tasking
- Strong understanding of typical artifact problems and problem-solving skills with collections objects
- Certification or ability to be certified in the use of pallet jack, forklift, scissor lift, and other warehouse type equipment