Full time benefited position. The daily functions of this position consist of but are not limited to: Engaging and educating general public about various sciences with the use of demonstrations and hands-on activities in an informal setting. The Science Interpreter will deliver educational content in one or more of the following ways: large capacity auditorium programming on and off museum grounds, guided tours and presentations, exhibit hall facilitation, and floor demonstrations. The Science Interpreter requires individuals who are comfortable speaking in front of large audiences and delivering science instruction to guests of all ages. Science Interpreters will demonstrate a willingness to learn and educate themselves on all topics of science as well as be expected to study curriculum and supplementary materials to gain proficiency in the sciences taught by the institution and improve upon existing content knowledge and teaching/presentation skills. The Interpreter will develop content for instructional use in all facets of the department assigned by Director of Visitor Experience and/or Manager of Public Programs. Science Interpreters must have the ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision, and demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Engaging science center members and general public about various sciences with the use of demonstrations and hands-on activities in an informal setting
- Must be able to work weekends
- Content area expertise extends to all programs.
- Works with a high degree of independence on multiple projects in parallel.
- Reports regularly on project progress, and oversees budgets and resource allocations as necessary.
- Creative approach to new ideas and projects
- Create new live science demonstrations, programs, and shows that supplement special science events and exhibits
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Able to problem solve with flexibility and demonstrate good judgment in a variety of situations
EDUCATION: Degree seeking or hold a bachelor’s degree in science education, chemistry, physical science, physics, astronomy, or other related sciences
EXPERIENCE: The candidate should have experience teaching either informally or in a classroom setting. The candidate should have strong general science knowledge. Applicants must demonstrate a willingness to learn by studying supplemental material and researching new ideas. Strong written and oral communication is required. Customer service experience and experience speaking in front of large audiences is desirable.
- A valid Florida driver’s license, ability to drive a van, maintain a clear driving record, and retain driving approval through OSC’s insurance company.
- Experience performing improv or any theater experience
- Experience in a museum or other informal science education facility
- Curriculum development
- Graphic design experience
- Background and experience in any of the following is preferred: planetarium, observatory, animal handling, chemistry labs, physics labs, nursing simulators, STEM, and inquiry based learning projects
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand for long periods and be able to lift 30 lbs.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com